Crossbar squatting to be banned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't think it does. Plenty of sports bodies reign in performance from time-to-time due to practical/safety issues. Research javelin throwing (unless it is Discus I'm thinking of!). Sport is not Top Trumps - bigger numbers aren't always better.

I think cricket put limits on bats. I suspect the list goes on ...
Cycling started the rot banning recumbents, didn't it? ;)

Stupid things.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't think it does. Plenty of sports bodies reign in performance from time-to-time due to practical/safety issues. Research javelin throwing (unless it is Discus I'm thinking of!). Sport is not Top Trumps - bigger numbers aren't always better.

I think cricket put limits on bats. I suspect the list goes on ...
indeed, Golf is currently getting its knickers in a twist on people driving it 350m+ and its not the first time they've had to introduce regulations to counter technology developments in clubs and balls.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think ban on very wide bats in cricket predated recumbents. My unimpeachable source for this is a memory of an illustration from the Ladybird Book of Cricket showing man with a comical beard wielding a bat that resembled a shovel. So I must be right.
The Monster Bat Incident of 1771. For sure, that predates recumbents, but it didn't affect cycle racing much.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think ban on very wide bats in cricket predated recumbents. My unimpeachable source for this is a memory of an illustration from the Ladybird Book of Cricket showing man with a comical beard wielding a bat that resembled a shovel. So I must be right.
Was that Dennis Lillie and his aluminium bat?:laugh:

They are width restricted. When I was a kid you could get an SS Jumbo or various slazengers that had humps on the back to make it go further or a Gray Nichols which had 1-4 scoops out of the back to make it go further. Work that out? I think GN sold the discarded scoops to Slazenger / SS.

Modern bats have more power that we could have ever dreamed of, despite the depth of the face (I think) is now also restricted. the volume of wood in them is still something else, yet they are still lighter than their 1980's counterparts. Still the punters love to see a mishit for 6 in T20!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No, as @mjr says, it was a bit before that.

In a 1771 cricket match between Chertsey and Hambledon in Surrey played over 23 and 24 September, a batsman appropriately named Shock White walked out to take strike for Chertsey with a bat as wide as the wicket. A record of how he played is unavailable, but his team lost by 1 run after Hambledon, batting first, had put up a score of 218.

His action, though a stroke of genius, was lambasted all around as being unsportsmanlike.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/monster-bat-incident-event-rules-bat-size
excellent anecdote, I give you Dennis's in return...
'unsavoury' behaviour

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I wonder if the uci will alow it if the riders add a saddle to the top tube ? :smile:
1612962195128.png

Eziemnaik

Über Member
More regulations and less excitement is exactly what this sport needs. I would also like to propose ban of long range breakaways, drafting, penalize drinking and make transparent maillots obligatory

Top Bottom