Crossers on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Yes.

My son has a CrosslightPro3, which we stick mudguards on, rear rack & touring tyres. Makes a great *practical* bike for everyday use and touring use. He's also used it for cyclocross with it stripped down to the bare necessities.

Edit:

Kinesis make great frames. Apart from the offspring's Crosslight Pro3, Mr Wafflycat's main bike is a tourer built up around a RacelightT. It's a lovely bike and has given him many miles of cycling with no hassle.

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

I know very little about crossers, and as I am looking at various possibilities for my next bike I thought they were worth looking at.

I especially like the idea of disks, and know that cross frames can sometimes carry disks.

I am looking for a bike that can have full guards, a rear rack and has fairly relaxed geometry - basically I have taken ages to come to the conclusion that I'm no speedophile, what I like about cycling is the feel of control and freedom, and doing my riding with precision.

A full on roadbike, like Gen, is too agressive for what I really want. I'm after stability, slower but precise handling and the option for a rack.

Do you think a crosser suits this description? I know what I am describing is basically an Audax machine, and I have been looking at the Thorn Mk3, but the idea of disks on something like this Focus appeals very much.

Dave5N

Über Member
I don't think a full-on 'crosser will meet your needs - they are designed to be raced for an hour. They can (mine does- I have a good 4 inches of toe overlap) have a very tight geometry.

You need a touring bike.

As for road racing, I have done some very long rides on my 'cross bike on the road with a change of tyres - 23s - and a strap on bottle cage as there are no bosses.

My other half has a nice Kinesis which is slightly more relaxed than the Ridley with a lower BB and bottle bosses etc. If you do go down this road, it's a good bike.

Frankly, though, if you don't want to go off-road; and more importantly if you don't want to race 'cross; but you want a good touring bike, well, get a good touring bike.

FWIW and for good reason, disc brakes are not legal in 'cross.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
There a re a few current bikes that are being sold as 'cross' bikes that ain't really 'cross' bikes, so its quite hard to say if you need a 'cross' bike.

I got a voodoo Limba which is a 'cross' bike with disc/canti/mudguard/rack braze-ons but it could equally be a tourer, apart from the fact its silly light and aluminium.
It shifts with road tyres, but its the bike is it, its the size of the engine that makes that happen :biggrin:

papercorn2000

As Dave5N says, the geometry of a full on cross bike is quite tight - especially at the front end. Many "cross" bikes however have more relaxed geometry and a wheen of braze ons. Mines has every braze on you can imagine - except canti bosses (I run Avid BB7 discs), I use it in the Alps during the summer - compact chainset and discs are great in the mountains and can tow the tag-a-long. It's a great all-rounder - I'm even tempted to use in some road races this summer.

Dave5N

Über Member
I should know this, but I don't. Are disc brakes legal in road racing? I thought not, but I'm not sure why I thought that.

They certainly aren't legal in 'cross.

papercorn2000

Oh yes, I accept the reasoning - however, I've also done XC MTB races where I've had to carry the bike and discs are legal on them!

I'm unlikely to be doing 3 Peaks or National Champs any time soon!

carlpie

But on the original question....I ride an 08 Kona Jake in between/over all the potholes from West London to the city everyday and the only niggle is lots of brake adjusting - (although that might be because it's still pretty new) - and the Gatorskins seem to roll well enough.

Yes the front end is a little funky to start with but now my Sunday road bike feels like the odd one out.

Recommend it for city commuting? Yep. Oh, and it's got the doohickies for panniers should the desire take me. OH, and the interupter brakes levers - god sends!

Top Bottom