CTC and Cycle Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
I see that there is a report in CW regarding the quantity (mileage) of cycling lanes. It seems that CTC measures success in the length of cycling lanes in UK rather than the effectiveness of the lanes. If taken a face value, we could see another rush to paint ridiculous green lines over completely unsuitable surfaces to 'tick a cycling box'. I do wish the CTC had engaged brain before making this comment. Personally, I do not want cycling lanes, I just want to be treated as a road user.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Wednesdays_British_News_Roundup_article_269986.html

See bottom of page for comment.

snorri

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
It seems that CTC measures success in the length of cycling lanes in UK rather than the effectiveness of the lanes.
I don't think the quote gives that impression at all. The final paragraph comments not only on the reducing mileage of lanes provided, but also on the poor quality of provision. I would agree with that view.;)
Cycle lanes have their uses at times, particularly contraflow lanes which can reduce trip distance and times.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I agree with gavintc. I'd go further and disagree with snorri too. We have (too) many contraflow cycle lanes in sheffield. Putting in all these one way streets and then the fiddle of the odd contraflow actually discourages cycling in my opinion whereas low and behold come the naughty cagers and oops did I accidentally ignore that no entry sign or one way bit?

Top Bottom