CTC dropped Dawes tourers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

The CTC mag always carries a Spa Cycles ad where Dawes tourers are usually much cheaper than anywhere else.

OP
OP
clownfishrob

clownfishrob

spandex said:
The cycle touring club dose not sell touring bikes?

Well the old CTC online store did sell them up until it recently swapped to wiggle.

Just seems a little strange that an organisation that supports touring in it's title supports a web store that sell every type of bike except touring bikes.

Is the state of our past time is it such demise?

Danny

Legendary Member
clownfishrob said:
Well the old CTC online store did sell them up until it recently swapped to wiggle.

Just seems a little strange that an organisation that supports touring in it's title supports a web store that sell every type of bike except touring bikes.
Agreed.

I have nothing against Wiggle, but it is a bit sad that the CTC could not link up with a supplier which could better support touring cyclists - for example Edinburgh Cycle Co-op, Spa Cycles, or Bike+.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Totally agree!! I think Wiggle is very good but it is pretty ridiculous that their partner doesn't sell tourers!! Spa would have been wonderful and it would signal their support for little independent bike shops instead of the internet! What a waste of an opportunity.

I wonder if we should write in and express our disappointment.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Lets face it, its all about the Benjamins. There was this thread a while ago where Paul SRCC went into the economics of the deal with the CTC (assisted by contributions from moi). Like I said on that one, the CTC are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to having a shop-front.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Dannyg said:
Agreed.

I have nothing against Wiggle, but it is a bit sad that the CTC could not link up with a supplier which could better support touring cyclists - for example Edinburgh Cycle Co-op, Spa Cycles, or Bike+.

The CTC probably links up with the retailer than provides the biggest potential for income. I also suspect that touring cyclists are in a minority amongst the CTC membership. Touring was not the primary reason for me joining the CTC, it was the legal cover and insurance. Have a look at the current areas of activity - a lot of them are aimed at increasing the number of cycle users and very laudable it is too. There's also the merger/takeover of MTB training to give acces to another body of cyclists.

Bike Plus, I am sure was the CTC partner before last - they were kicked into touch in favour of Evans.

Sadly hard commercial decisions take precedence over sentiment. It doesn't impact upon me personally as I've nearly always found stuff cheaper elsewhere.

OP
OP
clownfishrob

clownfishrob

I'm with Cathryn on this I think we should write to the CTC and point out that not selling touring bikes on their official website is not doing the CTC any favours.

After all Wiggle manages to sell panniers, racks , tents and camping equipement so why does it not feel the need to sell touring bikes? Is our past time in such decline that it can't sell tourers even to special order?

I have nothing against Wiggle being the supplier to the CTC but I have issues where my own section of my past time is not being sufficiently represented by the organistion I joined specifically for it support of touring cyclists.

While it may seem a minor point to most if this sort of situation is left unchallenged it will only add to an erosion of touring cycling in general. Before long the only touring bikes you'll be able to purchase will be custom made or you will have to import directly yourself from europe or the states. That will lead to decline in our numbers as tourers which will benefit nobody.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's a bit of an own goal, I suppose, but surely no-one joins the CTC to buy a touring bike. There are many other reasons why I joined the club but that's not one of them.
Are you sure you're not just picking a fight for the sake of it?

OP
OP
clownfishrob

clownfishrob

Rich you're more than likely right that I'm nit picking to a point. I joined the CTC firstly because of the touring routes, forums and general support for touring cyclists. I was also looking to buy a tourer at the time after not seriously cycling for the last 5 yrs so was a little wet behind the ears. The prices available on the Dawes at the time via the online store certainly was quite competitive and it certainly was a pull factor when joining the CTC. That pull factor is now not there.

Danny

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
Lets face it, its all about the Benjamins. There was this thread a while ago where Paul SRCC went into the economics of the deal with the CTC (assisted by contributions from moi). Like I said on that one, the CTC are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to having a shop-front.
Wow - Paul's post was certainly comprehensive.

I work for a national not-for-profit organisation and appreciate the importance attached to "income generation". If the deal with Wiggle really does generate £90k+ a year then the CTC would be foolish to turn it down.

However if it is a lot less, then I still wonder whether it is in the long term interests of the CTC to just link up with a bulk supplier, rather than someone like Bike+ who could provide members with good advice as well as competitive prices.

The CTC is unlikely to be able to compete with other on-line retailers on price alone, but could differentiate itself by being able to offer an expert advice service to potential customers.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Dannyg said:
Wow - Paul's post was certainly comprehensive.

I work for a national not-for-profit organisation and appreciate the importance attached to "income generation". If the deal with Wiggle really does generate £90k+ a year then the CTC would be foolish to turn it down.

However if it is a lot less, then I still wonder whether it is in the long term interests of the CTC to just link up with a bulk supplier, rather than someone like Bike+ who could provide members with good advice as well as competitive prices.

The CTC is unlikely to be able to compete with other on-line retailers on price alone, but could differentiate itself by being able to offer an expert advice service to potential customers.
I can only assume that Wiggle felt there was potential growth in the touring market. When the franchise moved from BikePlus to Evans I sent the CTC organisation the sales history from the three years that BikePlus had the franchise, I note with Evans many of the highest selling lines were not retained.

Hopefully Wiggle will get sales history from both which will help tem to introduce new lines relevant to many of the CTC members, plus I would also like to see dedicated and experienced staff who are able to answer queries by telephone, a service I would also like to see promoted as I know how valued that is by many; a service not encouraged by Wiggle at the moment so a change needs to be encouraged that’s for sure.

I also hope they listen to recommendations from Chris Juden, his role at the CTC organisation means that he gets to hear of items that may be of interest to the members that retailers often don’t get to hear of, he can suggest lines that may take some effort to obtain/import and may not be potentially as commercially attractive as some items, but none the less this was one reason that the CTC started to run the shop in house initially. I recall for example stocking Kelly Take off and large Bell King head helmets, neither were readily available in the UK so had to be imported directly

Wiggle at the moment may not seem an ideal choice from the member’s point of view, but they have the resources and hopefully the inclination to stock both the relevant product choice and offer the relevant service that will appeal. I have not looked at the pricing structure of the CTC shop compared to Wiggle, I will be surprised if the prices will under cut their own shop that aggressively though; wouldn’t be conducive to a long relationship with the CTC organization I would have thought if they did that. Will be interested to watch how it evolves in the coming future.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
clownfishrob

clownfishrob

To be fair to both the CTC and Wiggle it has only been a matter of days since they took over but hopefully they will introduce touring bikes back into the mix in the near future. There certainly is strong feelings around that they should be offering it.

andym

Über Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Wiggle started offering own brand touring bikes. After all, as someone said, they already sell panniers and other touring kit.

Top Bottom