CTC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
No,
maybe,
I am member of BC.

Yes and yes (though it depends what you want to get from/put in to the CTC). I reckon that it's worth it for the 3rd party insurance cover, the magazine, routes and information etc and the campaigning on behalf of cyclists that the CTC undertake.

Bigtallfatbloke

Do they have hot lycra clad nubile females at CTC meets?

...I'm not big on beards and spd sandals

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Do they have hot lycra clad nubile females at CTC meets?

...I'm not big on beards and spd sandals

Yes. All members of the CTC must be hot lycra clad nubile females - with low self esteem and sexual control issues. If you're thinking of joining now, could you put me down as introducing you, I could do with a new computer.

peanut

don't bother. They never send out your membership stuff for months and months and the forum is modded by a couple of yobs who when they are not pontificating ,throw their weight about and issue arbitary lifetime bans to members for no reason other than they have the power to do so.;)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
peanut said:
the forum is modded by a couple of yobs who when they are not pontificating ,throw their weight about and issue arbitary lifetime bans to members for no reason other than they have the power to do so.;)
Who was that then?

Suppose it's worth it for the insurance and stuff plus they do some good work. Quite enjoy the mag as well and you get discounts in some shops if you are a member.

Also, a lot of clubs want you to be a member of either CTC or BC anyway.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
peanut said:
don't bother. They never send out your membership stuff for months and months and the forum is modded by a couple of yobs who when they are not pontificating ,throw their weight about and issue arbitary lifetime bans to members for no reason other than they have the power to do so.;)
I've heard a few people have problems with the membership, but I've had some dealings with them and the service has been fine.

My feelings about the CTC is that nationally they generally do a good job for cycle advocacy and the member benefits are worth 30-odd squids of your hard-earned. At a local level I get the impression that it can get quite cliquey and middle-aged, but there's no compulsion to get involved. I also get the impression that the typical member profile is shifting from the bearded tourer to the dedicated commuter - horrible generalisation I know but it gives you some idea.

As for the CTC forum - my only visit there was apres videoed accident, when somebody had linked me in from here. I received some criticism for cycling too fast (about 15mph) and being too close to parked cars (about 2 metres away) so I exercised my right to not bother.

peanut

andrew_s said:
Who was that then?

suffice it to say it is definitely not worth questioning the action of any of the Mods on CTC or you'll login one day and find you have been banned for life with no warning nothing. Not even access to read other members posts.
They intercept your emails to Admin and do exactly what they please.

Top Bottom