Cube Attempt, Cube Streamer or Trek 1.5?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickF

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Road Bikes, although I've done plenty of cycling before, just always with a mountain bike!

I'm just about to order my first Road Bike and have narrowed it down to:

- 2009 Cube Attempt
- 2009 Cube Streamer
- 2010 Trek 1.5 (Compact or Triple)

Before going ahead and making my purchase, I just wanted to get some experienced opinions from people who have been riding Road Bikes previously.

I know that Cube are the lesser known brand of the two, but they look great (although that's not exactly high on the list of priorities!) and they are very well spec'd, particularily the Streamer. The Trek, is also well spec'd, but doesn't look as good value for money and I'm not keen on the colour!

I've considered Specialized, but after comparing them in the flesh to Cube and Trek, the latter seemed to be better build quality and spec.

What do you guys think? All thoughts are welcome!

Many thanks,

Nick

Downward

Guru
White ? - Good looking bike !
dsc00431r.jpg

OP
OP
NickF

NickF

Thanks for the replies guys!

Downward said:
White ? - Good looking bike !

Downward, don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic looking bike and not a bad colour. I just didn't want a white bike, as my fear would be wear and tear on the paint being more noticeable and also getting dirty quite quickly!

It's still a serious contenter to being bought, so depending on what happens tomorrow, I may be joining you in the trek ownership club!

MacB said:
I like the look of the Cube Streamer, seen it at Chain Reaction for the 2009 model triple with ultegra SL:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30566

£959 seems a pretty good price

MacB, my thoughts too on the price, are that it seems very reasonable. The bike has a fantastic spec and the guys at CRC rave about Cube bikes. The Ultegra SL parts are a definite attraction!

I'll keep you posted as to what I buy tomorrow, I'm heading towards the Streamer, as it seems that the extra cash over the Attempt is worth the money. Just need to decide if I should get the Trek instead of a Cube!

Downward

Guru
NickF said:
Thanks for the replies guys!

Downward, don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic looking bike and not a bad colour. I just didn't want a white bike, as my fear would be wear and tear on the paint being more noticeable and also getting dirty quite quickly!

It's still a serious contenter to being bought, so depending on what happens tomorrow, I may be joining you in the trek ownership club!

MacB, my thoughts too on the price, are that it seems very reasonable. The bike has a fantastic spec and the guys at CRC rave about Cube bikes. The Ultegra SL parts are a definite attraction!

I'll keep you posted as to what I buy tomorrow, I'm heading towards the Streamer, as it seems that the extra cash over the Attempt is worth the money. Just need to decide if I should get the Trek instead of a Cube!

You need to just use it in the dry like me !

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sittingduck said:
Looks v. well specced for under a grand :biggrin:
MaccyB... are you considering investing in one of these? :evil:

nope, I'm sticking with converting the Giant to drops for now. I just can't bring myself to buy a new road bike as Winter approaches!

OP
OP
NickF

NickF

Is the general feedback that the Streamer is a good buy? I think it's good value, considering the spec, but does anyone think I'd be better off with the cheaper Attempt or the slightly cheaper Trek 1.5?

Nick

Haitch

Flim Flormally
My girlfriend's got a Cube (woman-specific so it's not really a like-for-like comparison) and it is excellent. Light, responsive, fast, excellently specced and a real bargain at the price. She bought it in the spring and the bike shop had to ring round all the other dealers to get it: it was the last woman-specific Cube in the country. Cube had sold an entire year's stock in the first three months of the year!

colinr

I can't comment on the relative specs but the Attempt looks really nice on the peg! I might have had have had one if they had it in my size and it wasn't a triple.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
You do realise that over 1/2 the people on here will classify you as TdF wannabe as you eye up £1k bikes oooooooh..
If I had the dosh I'd spend at least £7950 .. I cant believe the de rosa king super record has gone up £2k in last 12 months.........flamin' hell

OP
OP
NickF

NickF

I am Spartacus said:
You do realise that over 1/2 the people on here will classify you as TdF wannabe as you eye up £1k bikes oooooooh..
If I had the dosh I'd spend at least £7950 .. I cant believe the de rosa king super record has gone up £2k in last 12 months.........flamin' hell

Ha ha! £1k is the very top end of my budget! Ideally, I'd like to see change from that too, but with accessories like a helmet, pedals, shoes, lights, clothing etc, I think I'll end up about £200.00 over budget! Never mind, it's better to over spend than upderspend in purchases like this I recon!

So, the order's going in today. What does everyone recon, Streamer, Attempt or Trek 1.5?

Many thanks

Nick

OP
OP
NickF

NickF

colinr said:
Follow your heart... get the Streamer :biggrin:

Good man! That's what I wanted to hear! A few mates of mine I've spoken to about this have said the same thing, so the Streamer has been ordered and will be with me on Thursday!

Top Bottom