Cube Attempt - Yes/No?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
Well I've just spent a couple of hours in Prologue bike shop in East Sheen getting measured up for a new bike.

They were very friendly and helpful and I would like to give my C2W voucher to them, for all the help.

But the only bikes they have in my price bracket of £1000 are the Cubes. They look to be very nice and obviously they raved about them, but I have never heard of them before.

They suggested the Attempt which is an Aluminium frame with carbon forks and Shimano 105/Ultegra mix of components.

They put me on a trainer and adjusted it to fit and it felt very comfortable.

The bike costs £1050 and I think I'm going to get some road shoes to go with it.
They had a pair of Shimano R300 shoes in my size which were very comfortable from the go, but they will mould them to my feet. The downside to these shoes are that they are only available in silver. A bit "bling" for my taste but they knocked the price down to £100.
But maybe they would grow on me and they would match my new white and silver helmet :biggrin:

So with pedals, basic computer, bottle cage and a few other goodies thrown in it comes to £1200.

I can pay over 18 months at £40 P/M which isn't too bad.

My only issue is that I have problems spending large amounts of money and need some reassurances that this is a good bike for the money.

Or maybe not???

Link to bike
The description has FSA cranks, but it actually has Shimano fitted.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Pretty nice looking bike there mate :smile:

Radius

SHREDDER
Cubes are fairly well known and as far as I've heard very highly spoken of. The username of our very own 'Cubist' speaks for itself!

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
ianrauk said:
Cycling I reckon

(sorry... had to be done :smile:)

:ohmy: Beat me to it.

I think this bike will only be used for weekend / CC leisure rides perhaps a bit of after work mile munching.

I'll use something cheaper for my commutes.

Another Bianchi will work out the same price, but I won't get the service or the freebies thrown in from Evans.

Although I've just seen a Colnago Primavera on Evans for under a grand (only Tiagra though) :ohmy:

Prologue do do Colnago, so I may give them a call in the morning and see if they can get this.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
... but you will be paying about 60% of that right and over 18 months? PLUS it's coming straight from salary without it touching your bank account, so in effect it's like a freebie ;) Do I hear a 2 and a half grand Colnago calling your name ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
But you must listen...
Just imagine yourself on your nice brand new Colnago, speeding around Richmond Park. Myself and SD promise to let you overtake us again and again and again to make you look reeeaaal cool ;)

redjedi said:
La la la...I'm not listening :ohmy:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Get it with a double and not a triple, no need for a triple in Southern UK, and the big rear mech needed for the triple ruins the look of the bike to an extent....

Bigtwin

zimzum42 said:
no need for a triple in Southern UK, and the big

Unless of course you are at the end of a century into a headwind in Feb going up a long steep hill, in which case they can be very welcome.

I think the 60cm Colnago will be just fine!

Better still Luke, why not splash out and get a bike with the geometry that is designed for the sort of riding you do? Maybe a Specialized Roubaix or Cervelo RS (Always assuming you are going to smash the bank - not just break it ;))

There are many bargains but the best bargain is the one that is comfortable. Only you will know that.
Sitting on a famous name doesn't climb the hill for you. (Shrivels up in corner and winces...:laugh:)

Top Bottom