cupboard finds…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mrs alec is becoming a registered childminder so, following initial inspection, decided to have a go at 'that cupboard'. you know, most people at least have a draw full of all sorts but we had an under stairs cupboard overflowing with the detritus of family life. it was actually like a time capsule layer cake.

anyway, i found a zefal sp 4 frame pump that i'd completely forgotten about :smile:

anyone else done a cupboard/shed/garage clear out and stuck gold?

buddha

Veteran
I found a packet of marshmallows behind the flour. They'd all been squished into one giant marshmallow :smile:

eyko

I once found an old laptop in a draw that I hadn't used a for a year or two as the screen was a bit dodgy. Booted it up, and it turns out it was in hibernation mode with Star Trek Fleet Command 3 still running. The rest of the afternoon disappeared
whistling.gif

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we were getting things from loft to do a car boot not long ago and one of the boxes had a laptop that neither of us remember seeing before , no idea where it came from or who it is

gallego1968

On holiday this year i found a 2 year out of date chocolate spread in my mums cupboard and she said that will be fine as it hasn't been open yet, but i through it away when she wasn't looking.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
On holiday this year i found a 2 year out of date chocolate spread in my mums cupboard and she said that will be fine as it hasn't been open yet, but i through it away when she wasn't looking.

Nothing wrong with 2-year-old chocolate! All that happens is the cocoa mass separates from the cocoa butter, so you get a kind of dusty white surface on it. Tastes just fine though!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Earlier this year I gave the outdoor cupboard containing the gas meter a clear out.

I found a bottle of 1984 elderberry wine. Tastes wonderful and porty. There's a demijohn of similar vintage blackberry wine. Tastes like a dry sherry. Also found a couple of cartons of UHT milk from 1988 from when we moved house. Post mortems revealed that the contents had seperated into blocks of curd submerged in whey. Still smelt like milk much to my surprise.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Been clearing study bedroom. Found no less than 14 mains leads of the 'kettle connector' type used for desktops or monitors. Guess we've parted out eight or nine PC's over he last 10 years and religiously kept the bits he 'might be useful'

Klaus

Earlier this year I gave the outdoor cupboard containing the gas meter a clear out.

I found a bottle of 1984 elderberry wine. Tastes wonderful and porty. There's a demijohn of similar vintage blackberry wine. Tastes like a dry sherry. Also found a couple of cartons of UHT milk from 1988 from when we moved house. Post mortems revealed that the contents had seperated into blocks of curd submerged in whey. Still smelt like milk much to my surprise.

Not exactly a clear out, but whilst getting organised for my first homebrew in years (using a kit with expiry year 2006) the understairs was explored: unearthed 6 bottles of "Pineapple Lager" vintage at least 2006. They have all been finished now, good fizz, head and lots of alcohol. Venturing further a few bottles of homemade wine from around 2002, still very drinkable.

Now I have 20 bottles of fine ale maturing, at least another week to wait for the taster bottle. Also started a gallon of a basic white wine kit, bubbling away merrily.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

:rolleyes:

Best before are only a guide, and not be taken religiously. I have eaten badly out of date chocolate and other things before, and I lived to tell the tale, so your Mum was probably right.

Mother-in-law hoards all manner of things. Found a new tin of Horlicks the other day with 4s/3d on the lid.

When she finally snuffs it (nice, I know) DON'T THROW IT OUT, send it, and anything else similar or unusual to the Museum Of Brands in London, where it will be much appreciated!

http://www.museumofbrands.com/

I collected Smarties Tubes as a kid, and finally got round to donating them and various other bits and pieces a couple of years ago. :blush:

Top Bottom