Cycle chat jersey, Norwich, Saturday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

discplayer

If that was you cycling Castle Meadow - Ipswich Road at about 7.15pm, hello and I hope your wheels survived your speed (not that I'm jealous :wacko:) across those increasingly knackered speed tables!

Will1985

Über Member
Yes, that was me dressed head to toe - which one were you? I was a bit disappointed about the red light being so long whilst trackstanding, but you can't win them all!

Those speed tables now look like little rises in the road rather than effective traffic calming measures - incidentally I do run my tyres at slightly lower pressures which I find helps over the "country" obstacles.

OP
OP
D

discplayer

I congratulated you on staying standing for so long at the lights on the end of Castle Meadow. I was on my hybrid returning from Mundsley. We had just missed the lights so did have to wait a bit.

I've enjoy standing at lights and have just got clipless pedals so will hopefully be better than in the clips I've been using.

Having seen the speed you did those speed tables I might keep the pedals going in future rather than easing off as I have been!

Will1985

Über Member
I must admit I felt a clipless moment coming on and it wouldn't be pretty using Looks!

Had you ridden out to Mundesley as well? Thats a 40 mile round trip....on a hybrid - panniers too? I'm not one for added weight on a bike over more than a couple of miles, so chapeau to you sir!

I was 2/3 of the way round my 60k evening run...damn was it hot too.

If low spoked road wheels can survive, a hybrid's wheels should....I do try and slightly jump with the bike as well to reduce the weight of impact - not sure if it really makes a difference but I haven't damaged anything yet.

A lap around the castle would make quite a good criterium course if you found a way to reduce the effect of the speed tables.

OP
OP
D

discplayer

With my gf, we've not found a 40 mile route there from NR2, we often do a 48 but have done a 60 there. The heat made it harder. We did stop for a picnic on the beach and then did similar on a ride to Winterton on Sunday.
We do long but not fast rides, averaging 13 - 14 Our first century, the Norwich 100 this year, didn't scare us as we were only aiming to finish and had done multiple 90ish mile rides - although I nearly didn't make it back from Bury St Edmunds one day.
Having said that, we have thought about moving to road bikes and seeing you disappear didn't diminish that thought!
I can see that about round the castle, although it tends to be mid week mid day when I do such a route and then with shoppers and office workers on lunch stepping out it's not really the same!

OP
OP
D

discplayer

Yes, they're everywhere! I thought there were just a few but I keep finding more, including one in the ticket hall at Liverpool St - although that one has nothing telling you what it is or why it's there.

They're all different, as far as I've noticed, but sadly a few have been vandalised.

Arch

Married to Night Train
discplayer said:
Yes, they're everywhere! I thought there were just a few but I keep finding more, including one in the ticket hall at Liverpool St - although that one has nothing telling you what it is or why it's there.

They're all different, as far as I've noticed, but sadly a few have been vandalised.

Should be 54 in the city - No idea there was one at Liverpool Street.

You can get a map with them all on, pick one up at the station and other places...

Very good way to get people wandering about the city. I'm thinking of suggesting something similar for York only to make it more difficult, I think it should be shrews or something...;)

The nicest has to be the mirrored one, in the Arcade.

OP
OP
D

discplayer

Not been to the arcade for ages (I assume you mean the Royal Arcade as I can't think of another). Am popping to pedal revolution then the market place in a bit so will take a look, thanks.:biggrin: How do you know if you're in York?

Arch

Married to Night Train
discplayer said:
Not been to the arcade for ages (I assume you mean the Royal Arcade as I can't think of another). Am popping to pedal revolution then the market place in a bit so will take a look, thanks.:biggrin: How do you know if you're in York?

Yes, Royal Arcade was the one I think - the art nouveau sort of place with the high glass roof, opens onto the market? The mirror fragments reflect the light beautifully. I sat and ate in the cafe, and watched loads of people stop to admire, touch, pat and generally smile at it...

I know, coz I went to see them! I'm a bit sad like that, when it comes to baby elephants...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Will1985 said:
Arch - you came to Norwich and didn't let us know? I feel slighted!

Sorry... :smile:

Next time, we'll all have to have a get together. A bunch of us from the Tea? thread are threatening to descend on Wafflycat some time in the autumn...:wacko:

kennykool

I was actually in Norwich a week passed Sunday til the Wednesday. My friend who lives on Thorpe Road provided me with one of his bike it's an "Alan" think it's older than me - lovely bike , gold in colour but I struggled with the manual gears.

We had a cycle around town and up to the Uni to the Sainsbury centre? Spent a bit of time in the Playhouse bar as well - really nice place Norwich.

I'll let you know when I'm back....i'll be bringing my own bike next time ha ha

spindrift

My nephew's house is opposite the Fat Cat.

I don't rate it, The Belle Vue, Alexandra or Jubilee are far better.

Top Bottom