Cycle Clubs - North Notts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phoenix

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but as I am looking at possibly joining my first cycling club, I guess this is the best palce for it.

So I spent a few hours looking on the internet for some local cycling clubs. I found many local clubs but most of the websites where badly out of date, so those all got crossed off the list. That left only 3 clubs, one of them has club runs on the opposite side of the city so that one is out. I want to head out to the Peak District area.

This left me with two clubs, I emailed them both via contacts listed on thier websites with a number of questions over 2 weeks ago and not had any replies. Not a very good advert for either club. Either their website/email details are not correct or they have so many members they don't want any more.

Shame really, as I was looking to try and get involved/help out in any way that I could.

Guess I will be cycling alone.

Dave5N

Über Member
Maybe they are just great clubs who are too busy supporting members and riding bikes to update their websites?

OP
OP
P

phoenix

That's the list I looked at and used to do my research.

I feel it is a pretty poor show if a club cannot keep a small website up to date. It doesn't take long. I don't expect them to be updated weekly unless activities are happening all of the time. This time of year monthly would probably be more appropriate.

It's not a good advert for any club or business if they cannot keep members/customers updated imho.

bonj2

I've found this too. there's one in newark, but i managed to get an email reply from somebody and he said call me before setting off as if there aren't enough people they don't go on a club run.
but Dave's right they aren't a business.
still if they want new members, updating a website would be good - but why not set an example - start one? i'll be your first member, i'm in north notts :o) - whereabouts are you exactly? you say north notts, but then you say 'the city', what city? I didn't know there were any cities in north notts...

OP
OP
P

phoenix

I really don't understand that they go to all of the trouble setting up a club and having a website and then not keeping it up to date.

Club or business or whatever, it doesn't matter. If they cannot be bothered to keep thier website up to date, why bother having it at all? It really baffles me.

Anyway, that's thier problem, not mine. I just don't bother contacting anyone with an obviously out of date website, business, personal, club or otherwise as it gives me the impression that the owner of the website just cannot be bothered.

It's a pretty poor show that the two clubs I did contact have not been bothered to reply. I have left it well over two weeks to allow for holidays etc. I sent polite emails requesting some information and enquiring if the clubs cater for a 'novice', but nothing, no replies, no phonecalls.

Hardly encouraging people into the fold is it?

I will give them another try this weekend and see what happens, but I won't be holding my breath.

OP
OP
P

phoenix

I am based just north west of Nottingham, near Watnall.

I have thought of doing something myself. At least I know I can keep a website up to date.

I think I will ask around the local bike shops to see if I can get a small group together for a few rides between xmas and new year.

Will1985

Über Member
Joe24 is with Sherwood CC I believe

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Will1985 said:
Joe24 is with Sherwood CC I believe

I am indeed.
Just seen the post.
Here is a link to the club site.
Have a look around on the site. Its pretty much up to date. Its a friendly lot that come out, the sunday ride is slow(i think) but when we get near the cafe a few power off, an the slower riders will stay at the same pace.
If you email Ed, he will be able to give you alot more information, and he shouldnt take too long to reply to the emails either.
Come down on a sunday, ill be the person with the fixed, normally being told im not dressed right:laugh:

OP
OP
P

phoenix

Thanks Joe,

Already spotted the website and it's very good to see one that is kept up to date. To me that gives a very good first impression.

Only problem is that the club rides are the other side of Nottingham for me, not a problem getting there, but I would prefer to head towards the peaks - I desperately need to get better at going up the hills if I want to do the Polkadot/Spud Riley next year.

I've got nothing to lose by making contact and having a ride out one Sunday.

Totally off topic but I am so happy that I had my Sunday ride a day early this week, it was damn cold, windy, bright and sunny yesterday. Only took me about 15 minutes walking around the house when I got back before my fingers has thawed out enought to remove my crash helmet.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
On the sunday rides there are a few hills, and depending how fast you are, you will find that just the flatter rides, with no rides into the peaks will have you tired. I started with the club in January, and i was going into the Peaks and Derbyshire in the summer, after getting fit enough on the sunday rides.
Some people in Sherwood are planning/trying to organise trips into the Derbyshire on weekends, thesed are fast rides though, but from going out with the people, they do wait at the top of the hills for everyone. But dont go straight in for these rides, they are hard. Someone that had been going out with them for a while was struggling, so they arent as easy.
On the sunday rides we go into the Vale of Belvoir and do some hills. Not as hard as the Peaks but not bad, especially when a few people race up the hills to try and get to the top first.(very immature:laugh: not that i would ever do it, i am normally the first or one of the first)
Im guessing you contacted Ashfield RC? Thats ment to be fast-ish ride. Some people from Sherwood are going to see what its like. They meet at Badger Box in Annesly at 9am on sundays. I havent been on one yet, waiting for the other people to go first and see how hard it is, then might try it.
Im also waiting to see what comes of the winter rides into Derbyshire with the people from Sherwood, hopefully they will go ahead, so there always that option. Those rides normally meet at Cinder hill, Newstead Abbey(right at the front) depending on where they are going.

OP
OP
P

phoenix

Didn't bother with Ashfield RC as thier site was rather out of date.

My main aim is to increase my mileage and be able to survive the hills ready for my first ever sportive so I think my best bet is to try and get a local group together that want to head out to the peaks.

If there is sufficient demand I will look after the organisation etc and get a website up.

My initial impression is that all clubs are a bit off putting for a beginner so I will do something myself if there is a requirement for it.

Thanks for all of the information Joe, the Sherwood website is the most informative one I have seen. Great to see thier rides mapped out also.

merlinmagic

I'm also in Nottingham and looking for a club to join upto. Would prefer something established as am looking for pointers from experienced cyclists.

I have a Specialized Sirrus Comp hybrid are there any issues with taking this sort of bike on the runs or are they specifically for road bikes?

BTW phoenix I live not far from Watnall and one of my little runs is from Cinderhill - Bulwell - Hucknall - Watnall and then back round on the A610. Only short run at the moment until I build up my stamina.

May see you around sometime.

Top Bottom