cycle computer/gps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steampig

Im looking for a decent computer for tracking all the usual stuff, also something that can record it all.
ive looked at both the garmin edge 500 and 800 which both have the online stats and such like.
Im leaning towards the 500 as im not really sure i need the sat nav bit.
The 500 seems to be at a decent price at halfords to with the cadence and hrm?
Can anyone recomend either or an alternate?
cheers

paulw1969

Ridley rider
bought a 500 a couple of weeks ago with hrm and cadence from Halfords as i think they are the cheapest. Still waiting for my bike however so not had chance to use it. Looking at the features i think this will do everything except get you home and make you a cuppa :biggrin: . Not a gps, however you can pre-program routes/ bread crumb routes
Be aware however unless its in store it took Halfords 2 weeks to get it delivered into store so cannot see it would be any quicker getting it delivered to your door.
P.S these units are actually smaller than i expected.

I just use smartphone Apps and save £££££'s
I've actually just sold my GPS bike unit as I have so many free apps on my iPhone that do the same thing it was just unnecessary, apart from cadence & HRM, but I''ve had them and didn't use them anyway, and if I change my mind I'm sure there'll be an app for that :smile:
iMapMyRIDE, Strava Cycling, Endomondo, Cyclemeter etc, etc, etc.

pally83

Über Member
I've been using a Bryton Rider 50 for the past few weeks. It seems to be fairly accurate for speed etc and the GPS is bob-on for roads. Picked it up for around £150 from Wiggle if I remember rightly.

OP
OP
Steampig

Steampig

Im still liking the idea of logging and saving all the ride details on my laptop.
You can then ride against yourself and check speed, cadence, hr etc.. At any point during each ride.
Are these apps anygood? I've only got a basic Samsung galaxy fit thing, not really a big sender on phones?

well on the BB using endomondo, soon as you end the ride it uploads to your account on the website, so it will be there to look at whenever, and can also export it to a .gpx or .tcx file from there to do whatever you will with. The advantage I guess is not having to go buy another bit of kit, but if you fancy cadence and hr then that is going to require kit way above the level a phone can offer.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Garmin Dakota as a slightly different alternative. Just to clarify you can get HRM and cadence as add ons, but the actual units are substantially cheaper than the Edges for not too dissimilar stuff. Just doesn't have the training stuff, has the ability to record though.

Finnjävel

A budget version for gps logging: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NK3G2Q

Long battery life, cheap and small. I recommend using software called bt747 for downloading the gpx data that you can then upload to whatever.

Not waterproof though, so my second one lives in a ziplock bag. First one drowned.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom