cycle computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loops

I have been looking at getting a cycle computer but am overwhelmed by the choice and varying costs. I only need to know how far and how fast so am not sure if I should just get simple cheapish as surely there can't be much difference in quality if I only want a basic function? unless any one out there thinks this would be a naive and foolish mistake??..

Dunlopdave

I bought a cheap halfords £10 job last summer easy to fit
Does what it says never had any problems with it only downside
Is the battery only lasts couple months and all your data is lost
forever.I paid £5 for replacement battery but seen them cheaper at
car boot / market.If you get one don't throw instructions away

sabian92

Über Member
I've got a Bontrager 4w (http://bontrager.com/model/08862). It's wireless so you don't have to worry about stuff getting in the way, and when you change the battery you can program it with your last distance so you always know how far you've ridden. Might be a bit much for you at £23, but it is definitely worth the money.

Top Tip for Today, regardless of which model you buy.:smile:
Unless they are available in a pdf ;-)

One word of caution to the OP if you decide to go wireless be cautious of going too cheap; cheap units are prone to interference, especially in built up areas. LEDs can sometime be a problem :-( My cheap raleigh Echo circa £11 in 2001 was OK for years, even in central Dublin, only my own LEDs interfered and that could be reduced by new batteries. However as cars have developed more of them have LEDs or new management systems which interfere quite a bit. Its not really an issue in my small town but in the more congested Edinburgh it is :-( Touchwood my Cateye Micro Wireless (circa £35) does suffer but its not been on my bike for a few years I use a GPS instead which is also pretty reliable.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The Cateye Strada Wireless is excellent; just make sure the unit is clipped into the bracket securely.
I agree, but it's not cheap

I've dragged up 4 kids - all on bikes; that's probably a 25 computers I've bought in the last 10 years (or maybe more?). All bog-standard basics - no complaints about them at all.

Might have a couple of th ngs to say about kids who lose 'em/instructions - but that's different ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
I use a Cateye velo wireless, on my second one (first one got nicked along with its bike), never had an issue, did over a 1000 miles on the first. In betweeny price. Can't comment on the fitting as I am inept and the LBS did it

This is my local shop, they have good online prices and free delivery if you can wait a week

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=108973 (I have this one)

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=10962&o=10962 (good price but cannot comment) or cheaper for the 'funky Ltd Ed' colours http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=117784&o=117807

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Wired £5 jobbies from Aldi have always been good for me. My favourite has lasted 3 years and 3,000 miles and the one on my other bike has survived being dunked into the canal. On the other hand a cheap one (£10 I think) from Sainsbury's has been temperamental, finicky and keeps jumping out of the bracket. A mate spent £90 on a Cateye Wireless Cadence thingy and ended up throwing it in the bin. As he explained at the time "the thing is - I already know when I'm pedaling fast." If you just want mileage, trip mileage, speed, average speed and max speed then a cheap wired one should suit.

Nebulous

Guru
Well I've had several cheap ones - and very few things in life have given me so much grief. My lidl wired one worked well at times, but it let me down on two of the biggest runs I have ever done. I'm not looking for a great deal of data, but I want it all the time. I then moved to an Aldi wireless one with Heart rate, or more precisely 3 Aldi wireless ones. The first one never picked up the magnet whatever I did. The second one worked for a while, although it cut out when I put my lights on, the Heart Rate was much more volatile and inconsistent than my Polar HRM and it eventually stopped reading speed as well. The third one is in my box of bike bits unopened.

I was one of these people who was lucky enough to get a Garmin 500 from Best Buy for £100, and it really is pretty much the best cycling buy I've made to date. I record every mile, both commuting and on my road bike, and have easy access to it all. Santa is bringing me a cadence sensor. A year ago I would have thought a gps based computer was overkill for my needs, now I wish I had done it sooner rather than all the frustration of trying to make the other ones work. I suspect many people are the same, they'll start cheap and sooner or later land up with a Garmin.

Top Bottom