Cycle Friendly Employer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Is your employer cycle friendly? If yes why not put them forward for a Cycle Friendly Employer Award. OK so it won't apply to a lot of employers out there, but there is no harm in trying to get things changed. These sort of changes don't happen over night and they just happen by them selves, we have to make them happen. Fortunately there are resources out there to help, including grant schemes.

Employers today are increasingly aware of issues affecting the health of their staff and pressures to meet social and environmental expectations. However, many are unaware of the extent to which an involvement in meeting these commitments will benefit their organisation.

If the cyclist in the work place don't make it happen then no one else will, so come join the revolution get active today!! Or maybe make that Monday...:laugh:

buggi

Bird Saviour
i would, if i was in Scotland.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
My boss has a 3k trek MTB, a trek 1.7 road bike, an old raleigh audax/tourer, a couple of old MTB's, a 1935 Freddie Grubb tandem and a project bike... so errr yes i do hve a cycle friendly employer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine isn't bad....secure parking, and the odd shower here and there. One site not too good, open stands, but in sight of reception, and I use a disabled loo to get changed.

marooncat

Given my bike gets locked to a compound fence as they will not let me fit a bike rack anywhere as it will be a "trip hazard" (have got the bike rack already so there is no cost from this) don't think I will be bothering with mine :evil:

purplepolly

if I was in Scotland, quite probably would.

Sheffield stands on a secure site nearer the door than non-disabled mototists, shower cubicles (with shower gel), ctw and a company copy of cyclecraft

janm399

Veteran
My company's great -- I (and everyone else) get gym membership, where I shower (and do the odd bit of exercise), I can keep my bike and bike bits in the server room. Oh, and let's not forget cycle to work scheme! On top of all that, I got Wiggle vouchers for my birthday.

All in all, we're a great cycle-friendly company to work for.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
good, and bad.

good: provides a sheltered and reasonable secure bike shed, changing rooms with lockers and showers

bad: refuse point blank to participate in a bike to work programme as they can't be bothered are worried about people riding on the busy road we're located on

I'm not in Scotland either, but apart from that...

Showers - none.
Changing room - none.
Kit drying facilities - none.
Bike stands - none.
CTW scheme - none.

(Yes, I have asked). Funny thing is, I don't really mind roughing it. At least I can keep my bike safe in the office all day! :tongue:

Batzman

Mine is excellent

Showers - large, and include heated towel rails
Bike racks in secure basement carpark with CCTV.

Breedon

Legendary Member
I think mine is erm.....ok

Where a building company and I asked my boss who I’ve know for ages if they would do the C2W and they said yes but seeing as I would lose my mileage payment decided not to do it.

No showers or any thing like that though.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
My employer has just started the cycle to work scheme, so that is +1. We are provided with very little in the way of cycle specific uniform, a bit naff consdering I can do upto 50 miles in a shift, -1. Other than Bikeability (which is not being pushed), inadequate training, -1. And our bikes are 5 year old +, Claude Butler Rocks, not in corporate colours and falling apart, -1. I do have a shower at work...+1
So, it's Plus 2 for commuting in and -3 for actually working!

Lurker

Vikeonabike said:
My employer has just started the cycle to work scheme, so that is +1. We are provided with very little in the way of cycle specific uniform, a bit naff consdering I can do upto 50 miles in a shift, -1. Other than Bikeability (which is not being pushed), inadequate training, -1. And our bikes are 5 year old +, Claude Butler Rocks, not in corporate colours and falling apart, -1. I do have a shower at work...+1
So, it's Plus 2 for commuting in and -3 for actually working!

Surely your employer should be promoting Bikeability for all its employees (including those driving in the course of their work)?

If your bikes, used in the course of work, are falling apart, what state are your workplace cars in? Or if the motor vehicle fleet has a maintenance contract, shouldn't the same be arranged for bicycles you use while working? It would certainly be much cheaper....

J4CKO

I work for AMEC and they are great, partly its down to the site which is managed by a company called Bruntwood but mainly AMEC, it helps we are out in the sticks so space is not a premium.

They participate in the CTW scheme, provide bike sheds and have recently replaced the showers with lovely new ones, couldnt ask for more really, it works both ways, they provide that, I am fitter so am less likely to be off sick (unless I fall off or get splattered), I value my ability to cycle to work and it would be a big part of my decision with regards to changing jobs, would really hate to give up my countryfied commute on the bike and go back to sitting in traffic on the M60, cant cope with it now.

Jake

When i had my old mountiain bike, i used to leave it outside on the street, untill bits started getting nicked off it. They then let me leave it inside, (got new bike since then though). No showers here, and prob would not put one in, but its fine. They would not do bike to work scheme, but hey. so they arent too bad i guess.

Top Bottom