Cycle gear - what would you like/need to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Hi guys,

My brother is currently studying product design & needs to do his final year project. He needs to come up with his own product from scratch & wanted to look at the cycling industry. He can't make anything technical or electrical (i.e. for the components) but he wants to design something cyclists would find useful. He considered something like a saddle bag but as the market is saturated with these he needs something different.

I have said something like a smartphone crossbar holder would be good, but he needs a few ideas to have a pick through. He will be joining this forum at a later date as he'd like to do some product research. In the meantime can you please post anything hear that you think would be useful. I've had plenty of moments in the saddle thinking 'that would be useful right now', but as it's 20:40 & I'm in the study I'm drawing a blank.

All replies would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

A directional EMP transmitter to toast the engine management systems of careless motorists.

That is what I would really like to have mounted to my handlebars.

Grizzly

If I am out with the family I have to lie the bikes on top of each other in the back of the van, with the result being a big tangled mess. I always thought that a stacking system were the bikes can lie on each other without getting into a mess would be great. I know its a bit complex but I WOULD LOVE SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

RedRider

Pulling through
A lightweight, bulletproof lock that secures two bikes outside a pub and keeps the rain off while wicking sweat. Please let your brother be a genius.

(Drawing a blank here too, soz)

Fast_Mark

+1 on some sort of lightweight lock. Preferably combination so you don't have to worry about keys and maybe doubling up as a rear light as well. Seatpost mounted would ensure universal fit and wouldn't look messy, seem out of place. I had also seen GPS trackers built into what looked like bog standard rear lights so if your bike does go walking you can 'see' where it is.

If it could also make cake appear from nowhere too...

loops

lightweight incredibly secure lock would be great, there are already smartphone holders, i have a really good one myself. I've always thought a pannier rack you could clip onto a road bike for the odd occasion rather than have oe fully secured would be great.

RedRider

Pulling through
A dynamo-powered hotplate on a rear rack to keep my chinese takeaway warm whilst I pedal home in winter

Love it. Can it be self-levelling too, I hate it when my Szechuan pork gets covered in black bean sauce spillage.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
A built in light security chain but strong enough to resist cutters. The chain would fit inside the frame and be pulled out when needed. Is that a good challenge?

I saw a bike with exactly this in Selfridges at the beginning of the year but I can't remember the make.

I'd love to find reasonably priced female cycling clothing that isn't bloody pink or skintight and comes in fat sizes. I hate pink and look like a demented sausage in lycra and it's not a pleasant sight for everyone involved. Nike Dri Fit do a pair of black running tights with an attached skirt that comes in bloody pink or bloody purple and looks ridiculous streched across my massive behind.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? :blush:

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'd love to find reasonably priced female cycling clothing that isn't bloody pink or skintight and comes in fat sizes. I hate pink and look like a demented sausage in lycra and it's not a pleasant sight for everyone involved. Nike Dri Fit do a pair of black running tights with an attached skirt that comes in bloody pink or bloody purple and looks ridiculous streched across my massive behind.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? :blush:
Rant away!
Apart from the pink, I love pink, I agree with ya.
I'm not the svelte youngster I once was, but i'm fitter than most women half my age...so why do clothing companies only make womens cycling clothes in super skinny sizes? Even the size 16 stuff is nowhere near being a real 16 - I am sick of having to buy mens XL in mens colours, just for once i'd like to look slightly feminine on my bike
Rant Over
whistling.gif

gbb

Legendary Member
A dynamo-powered hotplate on a rear rack to keep my chinese takeaway warm whilst I pedal home in winter
Not relative to OPs question, but this reminded me of an incident years ago.
One of the guys on nightshift was sent out to the chinese to get some takeaway for the guys at work. Off he pedalled....and didn't return :huh:
It transpired he'd hung one bag over each side of the handlebars and set off for work. He got about 200 yards up the road....and the bottoms fell out of both bags, depositing £20s worth of chinese over the road :laugh:

He was so gutted...he went home and didn't come in till the next day.

Moss

Hey,

You've been given the answer!

Fat Ladies Cycling Clothing - in Red White Blue, Black & Green! NO Pink or Yellow, they're never to be seen! Or you could come up with a suitable diet for said Ladies.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not so much an invention, more of an infrastructure thing: you can dock a Boris Bike in lots of places in London. What I'd like to see would be secure locking docks for personal bikes. Most of us are cycling everywhere carrying heavy locks around but we don't need the lock when we're riding, we need it when we're off the bike. Locks should be where you attach the bike. I'd be happy to pay a small charge to know that I can leave my bike safely without having to carry the ironmongery around.

Top Bottom