Cycle Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leeky

Hi all,

Can anyone give advice on what helmet to buy? I will be commuting to work and touring mostly.

thanks

lee

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I use http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/align-helmet-ec019730

Can't go wrong with that, it's one size fits all and has plenty of vents.

OP
OP
L

leeky

Thanks for the reply that looks like an excellent choice "same make as my bike too" lol

sorry to here about you dog.

Lee

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I wouldnt buy one that is one size fits all, as it probably only fits 5% of people.
Go to a bike shop and try some on. Buy the one which fits you the best.

Different helmets are different shapes. For instance Met are typically longer and narrower than Giro.

Forget vents and colour, neither is a priority!

1. Make sure it fits
2. Make sure it is comfortable
3. Forget the EN1078 stickers and look for CPSC, ANSI or best of all SNELL

Then start worrying about vents and colour

OP
OP
L

leeky

Hi,

thanks for all the advice, I was going to pop into the evans to try a few on tommrrow so we will see.

thanks again for the replys

lee

fenfirsttimer

Jaw drops at cost of a SNELL helmet I just found......£170

Mmmm - what price safety she asks still debating whether to actually bother with a helmet.
Having said that I would never have dreamed of getting on a horse without one.

Mmmm - what price safety she asks still debating whether to actually bother with a helmet.

Don't panic, there are a whole range from as little as £40

In fact Evans has Snell rated helmets for as little as £30.

All the Specialized helmets listed on their website fit the bill.

John90

Über Member

Isn't it true to say that all helmets that meet the appropriate standard provide the same level of protection (however limited that might be)? The price point only changes due to weight/ventilation and (possibly) branding.

Isn't it true to say that all helmets that meet the appropriate standard provide the same level of protection (however limited that might be)? The price point only changes due to weight/ventilation and (possibly) branding.

Often the cheaper ones meet the standard better than the expensive ones.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

Whilst horses may be in the habit of rearing up at strange noises/sudden movements by passersby, cycles aren't. At least mine never has......but I'm sure someone else will come along and say otherwise

Any EN1078 helmet will be next to useless... In the US you are no longer able to use one in either racing or triathlons

Equally the tests for standards are simplifications, and only deal with specific impacts, and these do not equate to many road impacts

For instance, given the evidence about the problems that vents and wedges /snag points cause, a smooth helmet like the skillet and a vented helmet like the Aurora will not function identically on a rough road surface

Top Bottom