Cycle insurance whilst out and about

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Hi

Apologies in advance if there's anywhere in particular that this already exists on the site (I couldn't find it).

I would like to have some kind of 3rd party cover whilst out and about on the bike, in particular cover for legal fees in respect of an accident and 3rd party liability cover. I'm not too interested in cover for property (the bike being stolen etc) as I already have this through my home contents.

Can anyone help/recommend?

Thanks

StuartG

slower but further
Maybe wothwhile joining CTC or LCC as these are benefits of membership.

You may already be covered if you have a home contents policy (check the policy). However, as StuartG has suggested joining the CTC brings the added benefit of such insurance.

Rob1984

I would be careful regarding the home contents cover. Halifax said that bikes are not covered and I had to pay an extra £50-60 to cover it, even when it is stored inside the house! Apparently home contents only covers what you would expect to find inside a home. Worth calling your insurance company just to check if you havn't already.

I would be careful regarding the home contents cover. Halifax said that bikes are not covered and I had to pay an extra £50-60 to cover it, even when it is stored inside the house! Apparently home contents only covers what you would expect to find inside a home. Worth calling your insurance company just to check if you havn't already.

Ah but the OP is asking for 3rd party cover. It is often part of home insurance policies without paying any extra. Cover for bike loss etc, is almost always extra.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Maybe wothwhile joining CTC or LCC as these are benefits of membership.

Thanks. From their website:

• £10m third party insurance.
  • Bi-monthly CTC magazine ‘Cycle’
  • Weekly e-newsletter, CycleClips.
  • Discounts on cycling products on-line at the ctc shop by wiggle and in over 200 local cycle shops.
  • Cycling related legal advice.
  • Access to routes, events and advice through www.ctc.org.uk and www.ctc-maps.org.uk.
Do you know what "Cycling related legal advice" actually means? It doesn't sound like legal cover?

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru

Quite.

Not a worry for me through my cover and the value of the bike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not convinced that many buildings and contents policies cover third party risks away from the home, but happy to be proved wrong. I certainly looked into it in the last century before when I first joined the CTC and was convinced, at that time, when I worked for a London market underwriting company, that none of my domestic policies would cover me in the event of, say, a collision with a rambler on the south downs way, or running down a small child on a local road. So far neither event has happened but with my clumsiness it is only a matter of time.

GFamily

Über Member
Ah but the OP is asking for 3rd party cover. It is often part of home insurance policies without paying any extra. Cover for bike loss etc, is almost always extra.

In particular, Contents cover will often include Liability cover for the insured and his/her household for incidents away from the home.
Liability cover for incidents occurring within the home (and garden) is often included with the Buildings cover.

However, CTC membership probably does have advantages when you are the one who is making a claim from someone else. <thinks> I really must get organised</thinks>

GFamily

Über Member
Not convinced that many buildings and contents policies cover third party risks away from the home, but happy to be proved wrong.

An extract from the More Than Household insurance booklet (similar applies for Direct Line and others)
Contents in your Home. . .

26. The legal liability of your family:
• as occupier of your home and its land;
• as individuals;
• as an employer to any of your family’s domestic employees;

to pay damages and costs to others which arise from any single event occurring during the insurance period which results in:
• accidental death, disease, illness or accidental physical injury to anyone; or
• accidental damage to physical property

Limit of liability
The most we will pay is £2,000,000, except where there is accidental bodily injury to a domestic employee where the most we will pay is £10,000,000. We will also pay defence costs agreed by us in writing.

ilovemybike

Many household insurance policies will include third party cover for cycling, but some exclude road traffic collisions so it's vital to read the small print. I know you aren't looking to cover yourself against theft, but cycle insurance through the ETA (http://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle) includes £1m third party cover on any bike you are riding. I must declare an interest as I work for ETA, but I would recommend an independent cycle insurance website such as www.cycleinsurance.co.uk if you want to compare cycle insurers that offer third party cover in this way.

Brains

Legendary Member
Thanks. From their website:

• £10m third party insurance.
  • Bi-monthly CTC magazine ‘Cycle’
  • Weekly e-newsletter, CycleClips.
  • Discounts on cycling products on-line at the ctc shop by wiggle and in over 200 local cycle shops.
  • Cycling related legal advice.
  • Access to routes, events and advice through www.ctc.org.uk and www.ctc-maps.org.uk.
Do you know what "Cycling related legal advice" actually means? It doesn't sound like legal cover?

The Cycle legal advise is a good service provided by the CTC.
If are involved in a accident or theft on whichever side, the CTC will give you advise on what to do next.

One of the most useful discounts the CTC provide is bike insurance, as others have pointed out house bike insurance is OK for covering the cheap bike stolen from home, but not much else. They also nearly all have a maximum payout of £500.

The insurers the CTC will point you in the direction of will;
A, Give you a CTC discount
B, Do full replacement value (new for old) , so a 10 year old £1,200 bike, you will still get £1,200 today.
C, Free legal advice, even if its your fault.

If you ever have an accident the legal advice is worth is weight in gold. I was a witness to a cycle accident a couple of years ago, the rider was a CTC member.
The legal team came to my house to interview me personally, the driver was taken to the cleaners. I personally believe that had the legal team been a normal High Street Legal firm the driver would have got off Scott free (and the rider sued for damaging the car).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Certainly pay the £36 to CTC or BC (British Cycling) - worth it ! CTC are also doing a discounted offer in places - through Greater Manchester's Cycling Campaign, you can get the CTC membership for just £12 (first year I think)

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Certainly pay the £36 to CTC or BC (British Cycling) - worth it ! CTC are also doing a discounted offer in places - through Greater Manchester's Cycling Campaign, you can get the CTC membership for just £12 (first year I think)

Do you have a link to the discount? I can't find it

Top Bottom