Cycle Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Was on a site butterworthinsurance.co.uk and got quoted approx £200 to insure £2500 bike ( all risks, theft, accident damage .. New for old terms ). Is this about the norm ? Have never had bike insurance before. Are there any other good ( tried + tested ) cycle insurance sites out there ? I suppose I ask the question because my entire contents and Buildings insurance on my home costs £275 per annum !

Jim it sounds about right to me. Insurance is just another racket, it costs less to insure my car than my bike!

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Ta for the reply AF. You are of course spot on. Legalised extortion ! Still what price a bit of peace of mind ?

Tony Martin

Jim, thats right, I wanted to insure my bike valued at £3500 and haven't been able to get a quote under about £400. tried my home insurance and was told they wouldn't insure any bikes over the value of £1000. I took that offer for my second bike and it added £13 to the policy. Realising that cycle insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on I have not insured my main bike and have resigned myself to just being very careful when I'm out and about. The thing is everything that involves enthusiasts, hobbies and passtimes is always a rip off ,that applies to cycling alot. Look at the price of the gear and equipment prices, someone's creaming it.

Hugo15

Über Member
My M&S renewal has just come through. £37 per month for buildings and contents insurance, including cover of £4000 per bike. Pretty sure that includes away from home too. I think it's pretty good value, especially when you have a couple of decent bikes.

Not had a bike claim but they were pretty efficent when I drilled through a central heating pipe. Sorted the problem quickly and with teh minimum of fuss.

spiro

SimonC said:
Try Marks and Spensers home insurance, can choose to insure possessions away from home.
Agree about M&S they are the only one I have found were you dont have to provide a value for contents insurance. With others if you think the contents are worth £10k, you claim and they think they are worth £20k they will halve any claim because you are under insured. SO such issue with M&S.

amygreen

Also try ETA - good policy & not badly priced. Covers while competing & third party. I have my insurance with them and cannot recommend them enough!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
spiro said:
Agree about M&S they are the only one I have found were you dont have to provide a value for contents insurance. With others if you think the contents are worth £10k, you claim and they think they are worth £20k they will halve any claim because you are under insured. SO such issue with M&S.

Actually M&S's policy is provide by AXA, who do sell policies themselves (and cheaper and better in my case when I compared them). Their terms are slightly different so do check to see which suit you best!

I also think it is always worthwhile to use one of the comparison websites to start off with anyway.

User269

If you've got house insurance, there's no sense in paying for separate bike insurance. I've been with 3 different companies in recent years, and each one has offered the option to insure my bikes as named items valued over £2500. I think this costs me an extra £30 a year on my premium for house and contents, which is already less than standalone bike insurance.

(the bikes are insured for theft, and damage both at home and away, including Europe).

GilesM

Legendary Member
A couple of years ago I switched to Sheilas Wheels for the house insurance, for a few pound more they cover all of our bikes, one is covered for £2500, this covers away from home aswell.

PpPete

Legendary Member
When I changed house/contents insurance recently, Privilege seemed to offer the best deal including bikes, but then none of our bikes is worth more than £1000

mossy

For those over 50 try Castle Cover .Really good for house and contents cover for the price.Bikes priced per bike as add ons but not too bad. Much cheaper than separate insurances.

bauldbairn

I'm with Butterworth Insurance for my current bike. Fortunately I haven't had to claim - so I can't comment on how good or bad they are. It cost £65 all in for £500 bike and the insurer was recommended by CTC.

Norm

bauldbairn said:
I'm with Butterworth Insurance for my current bike. Fortunately I haven't had to claim - so I can't comment on how good or bad they are. It cost £65 all in for £500 bike and the insurer was recommended by CTC.
Holy moly! :biggrin: It cost me about half that to add 7 bikes to the household policy!

Top Bottom