Cycle lanes on faster roads...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rosscbrown

...what a waste of time! I've just started cycling regularly and I often use a stretch of road adjacent to the Motorway spanning a couple of motorway junctions. When I first started cycling this B-road I was very thankful for the cycle lanes as the noise from the Motorway makes ir pretty impossible to hear cars and the like approaching from behind - having my own little lane of road to play in was lovely.

[media]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...wy547rll0elOLg&cbp=12,187.74,,0,19.32[/media]

However I have found that having space for my near exclusive use leads to other road users passing really close and not allowing additional space as they pass. At least when I'm out a bit from the side of the road and in the main road area motorists leave a nice wide space when passing

Also the road surface is so, so much better. The road is mainly used as access to a saw mill and the cycle lane is littered with wood debris and the like. There construction of the cycle lane doesn't seem to be of the same standard and upkeep of the main road surface despite being essentially the same surface separated by a solid while line.

So until some lorry tries to force me off the main road, I'm done with this facility for the time being....

...what a waste of time! , I'm done with this facility for the time being....

I must be the only one who uses cycle lanes...can't wait for the in-crowd to come onto this thread and slap you on the back.

taxing

This is the great thing about cycle lanes, using them is optional. Some I like and some I don't, so some I use and some I don't.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I now use cycle-lanes/paths on my way to work. They're pretty OK as are most in Abingdon. I used to use the road, but sadly the cycle-path is a more pleasant experience and abuse free :sad: .

Some are good, some are bad.

The problem with many is that they are narrower than a pair of MTB handlebars, and influence roar positioning and attitudes negatively - because some numpty has spilled some red paint in the gutter it makes taking a strong position when necessary, more likely to antagonise when we "should be in the cycle lane" allowing cars to whizz past inches away

BSRU

A Human Being
I used to use a shared cycle path next to a 40mph dual carriageway but realised the road was safer. At the time in the morning I use it there are not many cars but lots of runners, dog walkers etc plus street furniture, overgrown bushes/trees and of course having to navigate across each junction.

I also use a cycle path that runs at the side of a stretch of dual carriageway at the end of a motorway. The legal limit there is 90kmh, and I'm legally allowed to use the road, but I prefer to avoid having to mix it with Luxembourg registered Porsches doing 200kmh! :ohmy:

I was assuming that the OP was talking about the painted lanes on the road rather than a separate cycle "track" off the road

Jezston

Über Member

Good grief look at the state of that!

I'd get on to the highways agency / local council to get them to sort it out. It'll be nice to be able to use it if you wanted / had to!

On rural roads at least, it has been found that cyclelanes tend to delineate things and drivers tend to drive within the confines of their lane whereas when they are not there the majority of drivers tend to react better to a cyclist, slowing down/ overtaking at a safe distance. The other problem rossc found is they can be poorly maintained which rural roads can be in general, farmer Brown dropped half of his load on the carriageway, etc and you need to be in a more central position to avoid. IMO rural cycle lanes on high speed roads are a waste of space.

Top Bottom