cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done a quick search and can't find this topic but forgive me if it's old hat. What is the status of red cycle lanes? Can cars be ticketed for parking on them? I have to cycle a stretch of road with a delineated red cycle path, on the edge of a busy road, which passes a (senior) school. Between 3 and 4pm the lane is clogged with cars picking up their kids consequently pushing cyclists into the road.

I don't think the colour matters. What is important is whether there is a solid or broken line that marks it. Other vehicles are aloowed into it if it is broken, but not if it is solid.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Touche said:
I don't think the colour matters. What is important is whether there is a solid or broken line that marks it. Other vehicles are aloowed into it if it is broken, but not if it is solid.

It is solid but no action is taken by the authorities. I feel a letter coming on! To the school or the police or someone else?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What about contacting the PCSO for that beat - saw mine this morning and had a moan (he knows me by now:biggrin:) - and he went and had a word with the owner of the car half a mile away that I had complained about (parked on the pavement obstructing it) and it was gone by the time I was on my way back from school drop off. I have the police non emergency contact number in my phone for the ones I want to complain about - couldn't complain about every car parked on the pavement I would have an enormous phone bill.

He either gives them a warning note the first time, and after that its a fine or really badly parked he has had some removed.

School can send a note home but to be honest the parents who park on those lines are the ones that think the note applies to everyone else but them.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
summerdays said:
School can send a note home but to be honest the parents who park on those lines are the ones that think the note applies to everyone else but them.
I think you mean that these Parents are just no brained idiots who think they are too important to bother with stuff like that. :smile:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
summerdays said:
What about contacting the PCSO for that beat - saw mine this morning and had a moan (he knows me by now:biggrin:) - and he went and had a word with the owner of the car half a mile away that I had complained about (parked on the pavement obstructing it) and it was gone by the time I was on my way back from school drop off. I have the police non emergency contact number in my phone for the ones I want to complain about - couldn't complain about every car parked on the pavement I would have an enormous phone bill.

He either gives them a warning note the first time, and after that its a fine or really badly parked he has had some removed.

Good idea, summerdays, I have just fired off an email to PCSO Dave Walker and await with baited breath his reply!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Touche said:

Strictly speaking it doesn't matter whether the line is solid or not.

Many authorities are aware that people flout the regs so put in double or single yellow lines on top!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Pathetic. He hopes issuing tickets won't be necessary but admits that as soon as his back is turned the cars return. In my experience, a short period of zero tolerance is enough to deter the miscreants. It worked in Brighton town centre where people rarely risk illegal parking any more.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Rule 243
DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend
where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic

Lurker

sheddy said:
Rule 243
DO NOT stop or park

....opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

Does anyone else fail to see the logic behind this one?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lurker said:
Does anyone else fail to see the logic behind this one?
Actually that is one of the most important and one that most people don't obey.

if you have white vans parking at every corner, then you won't be able to see anything when approaching the junction at either end. where as before it was open and cars could clearly see what was coming. now they have to edge forward into traffic before they can even see whats on the road.

In my view, which is TOTALLY from the cyclists point of view, it just makes the case to have a raised kerb, in place of the line. I realise that it's not always possible, but, where it IS possible, it should be done.....(imvho)

The problem is often "Territorial"

In Portsmouth the parking offences are dealt with by the Council so the Police won't intervene as it is not "criminal".

The Parking Office won't intervene as if vehicles are parked on a pavement or cycle path it is " obstruction" and a Police matter.

In one particular case the Road Safety Council is raising the issues and facing the same denials of responsibility from both parties

In short no-one can be bothered to deal with the problems even in the most blatant cases.

Top Bottom