Cycle Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Can someone explain why Cycle Lanes end at pinch points and re-start after? I would have thought the pinch was were you needed the lane to show drivers to hold back?

I have been pondering this for somewhile now

BSRU

A Human Being
Can someone explain why Cycle Lanes end at pinch points and re-start after? I would have thought the pinch was were you needed the lane to show drivers to hold back?

I have been pondering this for somewhile now

I would have thought going through a pinch point in a cycle lane on the left would encourage some drivers to try a squeeze through.

I’m with LOCO on this – if they were properly designed they would help protect cyclists by “reminding” drivers that the vehicle in front has priority and not to attempt an overtake if there is not enough space as in a pinch point, – instead the vast majority of on road facilities (and off for that matter) i have seen vary from piss poor to criminal in design.

Better still, ask your local council road engineer to join you on a cycle and explain their thinking... they wouldn’t put it in writing to me, but my local council (Richmond upon Thames) admitted that much of what they provide in the way of cycling facilities is half baked and doesn’t meet the minimum specifications laid out by central government advice but that providing “something was better than nothing”... I would seriously disagree... most of them are little more than evidence of design by committee...

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

My logic was that by having a cycle lane before and straight after the pinch point almost suggests that we shouldn't be there (to the driver)or if we are we should be really close to the kerb. I have followed a few Cyclist who do move right in to the kerb so it looks like it is a common problem.

I think with a little signage indicating Cycles have the right of way, and different colour lines pinch points could be eased, or at least winding up drivers would be less.

I have at least one pinch point where avg traffic speed can be 40-50mph and me travelling at 20mph, gets a bit nerve racking and frankly I do not have the bottle to hold primary, and get squeezed on a regular basis, I try the constant life saving looks but mostly this is a massive fail!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The cycle lane would have to run through the centre of the pinch point so the cyclist would hold primary.

I have seen some that run in the gutter then other side of the pinch point concrete. So much fun for the cyclist trying to get back into the traffic flow after emerging from that :angry:

The question for me is more why do they have the cycle lane between pinch points. It encourages cyclists to stay in the gutter and out of the "car lane" which makes it that much more difficult to move into primary position for the pinch point because you are effectively pulling out into "their" lane. Its a bit like the feeder lanes to ASL which are designed to lead you down the inside of lorries waiting at the lights which is absolutely the worst thing you can do.

But then I remember that cycle facilities are not there for cyclists but for drivers and box ticking politicians.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The question for me is more why do they have the cycle lane between pinch points. It encourages cyclists to stay in the gutter and out of the "car lane" which makes it that much more difficult to move into primary position for the pinch point because you are effectively pulling out into "their" lane. Its a bit like the feeder lanes to ASL which are designed to lead you down the inside of lorries waiting at the lights which is absolutely the worst thing you can do.

But then I remember that cycle facilities are not there for cyclists but for drivers and box ticking politicians.

See my post above :smile:

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

The cycle lane would have to run through the centre of the pinch point so the cyclist would hold primary.

I think* this was kind of my point it would make primary legitimate, as opposed to what the hell is that cyclist doing slowing me down. I think as cyclists primary is a well known riding tactic, but I would hestiate a guess that most mororists assume it is arrogance and that we should be clipping the kerb to allow them to make good progress.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I think* this was kind of my point it would make primary legitimate, as opposed to what the hell is that cyclist doing slowing me down. I think as cyclists primary is a well known riding tactic, but I would hestiate a guess that most mororists assume it is arrogance and that we should be clipping the kerb to allow them to make good progress.

I agree with you and I don't ever see a time when a cycle lane would be marked in such a way. It highlights the lack of understanding shown by the authorities that provide these "facilities". No wonder the majority of savvy cyclists ignore sure lanes.

I have seen some that run in the gutter then other side of the pinch point concrete. So much fun for the cyclist trying to get back into the traffic flow after emerging from that :angry:

Surely if the cyclelane runs to the left of the pinchpoint bollard (as some do around here too), then the cycle lane can be easily rejoined after.... if you were in normal traffic flow before the pinch point then you would easily move to primary while going through the pinch point.

Such as here

The OP's point about most cycle lanes stopping before the pinchpoint or roads narrowing - just where they would be most useful - are very valid and common though, the linked one is particularly good in reality.

Top Bottom