Cycle paths and psychopaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
OK, so last week I was on my daily commute. The road I was on has a mixture of shared use pavements and painted cycle paths. No proper segregation between cyclists and pedestrians; they're always wandering obliviously into the cycle path.

I hate trying to negotiate around the pedestrians, so I'll usually cycle on the road (unless I'm feeling really tired and want a gentle pootle). It's a dual carriageway, so it's not like I'm blocking the road.

Anyway, I suddenly got a hoot on the horn from a dustbin lorry, who subsequently gestured at the path while it overtook me. I'm ashamed to say that I shouted "f*ck you" but it was more a shout of surprise at the beeping, I didn't really mean to swear at them.

Anyway the light ahead was red, one of them jumped out and had words with me for swearing, which I apologised for. he asked me why I didn't use the path, and I explained that it was dangerous for pedestrians at the speeds I went at. We didn't have time to go into it in detail, but I think I got my point across, but I was annoyed with myself that I didn't mention how dangerous it was for him to beep me like that. He seemed quite happy afterwards, but not sure if he understood my point at all, or changed his mind about the use of paths.

I'll have a look tonight at the video, see if it's worth putting up.

jimboalee

Their council colleagues had gone to great anguish getting the white lines, bicycle graphics correct and the sign posts perfectly vertical for you to ride on the cyclepath.
It is a huge insult you not using the cyclepath.

Pedestrians are allowed to wander obliviously into cyclepaths...

Reminds me though I had a go at a woman for reading The Metro while walking in the cycle path @ Waterloo...now where I didn't mind her walking into the cyclepath I thought reading the Metro at the same time was taking the p155.

What I didn't realise is I had the Sun in my eyes as I passed her and a cyclist coming the other day...This only showed up when I watched the vid.

Crankarm

Guru
OK, so last week I was on my daily commute. The road I was on has a mixture of shared use pavements and painted cycle paths. No proper segregation between cyclists and pedestrians; they're always wandering obliviously into the cycle path.

I hate trying to negotiate around the pedestrians, so I'll usually cycle on the road (unless I'm feeling really tired and want a gentle pootle). It's a dual carriageway, so it's not like I'm blocking the road.

Anyway, I suddenly got a hoot on the horn from a dustbin lorry, who subsequently gestured at the path while it overtook me. I'm ashamed to say that I shouted "f*ck you" but it was more a shout of surprise at the beeping, I didn't really mean to swear at them.

Anyway the light ahead was red, one of them jumped out and had words with me for swearing, which I apologised for. he asked me why I didn't use the path, and I explained that it was dangerous for pedestrians at the speeds I went at. We didn't have time to go into it in detail, but I think I got my point across, but I was annoyed with myself that I didn't mention how dangerous it was for him to beep me like that. He seemed quite happy afterwards, but not sure if he understood my point at all, or changed his mind about the use of paths.

I'll have a look tonight at the video, see if it's worth putting up.

You should have told him he was talking rubbish and to sling his hook. Illegal use of his vehicle's horn. Cycle paths are NOT mandatory. Send a letter of complaint to his employer. Hopefully he will receive retraining and a warning.

Jezston

Über Member
Pedestrians are allowed to wander obliviously into cyclepaths...

Reminds me though I had a go at a woman for reading The Metro while walking in the cycle path @ Waterloo...now where I didn't mind her walking into the cyclepath I thought reading the Metro at the same time was taking the p155.

What I didn't realise is I had the Sun in my eyes as I passed her and a cyclist coming the other day...This only showed up when I watched the vid.

Bit rich for you to criticise someone for reading a newspaper when ... err ... (sigh) nah I got nothing.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You should have told him he was talking rubbish and to sling his hook. Illegal use of his vehicle's horn. Cycle paths are NOT mandatory. Send a letter of complaint to his employer. Hopefully he will receive retraining and a warning.

I'm not sure the situation was serious enough to warrant that. I'll check the video and see.
I do wonder whether his attitude would have been more aggressive had I not had my camera on my head.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm not sure the situation was serious enough to warrant that. I'll check the video and see.
I do wonder whether his attitude would have been more aggressive had I not had my camera on my head.

Another point is someone jumping out, I know some people do this I've had old men do it for a polite chat on some point of road safety but to cyclists and pedestrians it's generally a hostile act. Some other cyclist may find it a lot more intimidating and may not have a camera. It may even lead to a fight breaking out. They really want pulling up on that one. Beeping + jumping out is aggression and a hostile act.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Another point is someone jumping out, I know some people do this I've had old men do it for a polite chat on some point of road safety but to cyclists and pedestrians it's generally a hostile act. Some other cyclist may find it a lot more intimidating and may not have a camera. It may even lead to a fight breaking out. They really want pulling up on that one. Beeping + jumping out is aggression and a hostile act.

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have popped out for a word if I hadn't shouted "f*ck you" at them.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have popped out for a word if I hadn't shouted "f*ck you" at them.

You don't know how the guy will react to other people or other people to him. It's how fights break out. You could get him pulling the same trick, beep and jump out to someone else and a fight breaks out. I get abuse where I'm more patient than other people are and you forget that other people will react differently. I've had this trick pulled on me so many times as a ped, it's bad behaviour on their part. I know some people don't mean it like that I've had an old man park up at the side of the road and not sweared at him and listened patiently but it's as much in their interest not to do it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've gone down that road dozens of times and woudn't dream of using the cycle path. It might be a good idea if you're doing ten or twelve miles an hour.........

Their council colleagues had gone to great anguish getting the white lines, bicycle graphics correct and the sign posts perfectly vertical for you to ride on the cyclepath.
It is a huge insult you not using the cyclepath.

..and an even bigger insult when their other colleagues can't be bothered to enforce them?

Top Bottom