cycle routes site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jely

hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has any internet site suggestions for finding cycling routes.

I'm currently on cycle-route.com but it's completely doing my nut in!! the map is jumping everywhere, the markers aren't positioning where i want them to... it's just driving me insane. :biggrin:

I was hoping there would be a site similar to google maps where you can enter the start and end destinations but which instead of giving directions for cars, gives directions for bicycles... now that would be a good site (if i could just find it ;))

any suggestions will be gratefully received...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Viamichelin has an option to map bike friendly/low traffic routes (a checkbox on the directions request, as I recall).

Check out Bikely.com and if you're a CTC member, the CTC routes database too.

OP
OP
jely

jely

Wow - Viamichelin is fabulous... thank you so much for your suggestions both of you!!!! it is very much appreciated.

Have a great day ;)

little miss

on the road said:
Where have all the side streets gone ;)

All mapping websites have some sort of copyright restrictions. I believe the concept of the OpenStreetMap website is that it is totally free, with no legal copyright issues etc. as it is updated by members of the public who trace the roads using data collected from GPS systems. In this way, there are no restrictions in copying or printing a map.

Its kind of a map version of Wikipedia.

I guess, if the roads are missing from your area, they just haven't been added by anyone.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
little miss said:
All mapping websites have some sort of copyright restrictions. I believe the concept of the OpenStreetMap website is that it is totally free, with no legal copyright issues etc. as it is updated by members of the public who trace the roads using data collected from GPS systems. In this way, there are no restrictions in copying or printing a map.

Its kind of a map version of Wikipedia.

I guess, if the roads are missing from your area, they just haven't been added by anyone.

There you go on the road, just take a gps with you and add them in;)

Sorry being flippant, on offence meant...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you're trying to get from A to B, I'd suggest using the roads and ordinary maps. Usually better, faster, and safer than cycle-specific routes, though not always.

Top Bottom