Cycle Scheme - Don't Bother

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uphillalltheway

Having been a mountain bike rider for the many years I decided to get a road bike. As with most people money is tight and I decided to opt for the cycle to work scheme. I applied on the 13th January 2012. My cycle scheme was approved on the 19th January 2012. The paperwork was not sent to my employer until 25th January 2012. I then decided to sell my mountain bike and use the money to buy some road bike clothing.
To this date (24/2/12) I have no voucher and no bike. I have the clothing so I suppose I could just walk around the house dressed in it but I think the wife might have something to say.
My employer (very large organisation) just tells me the payment is being processed. Cycle scheme tell me they have not received it. They also tell me they don't chase up employers. So frustated with scheme, employer and having no bike. Also the shop I am buying the bike off (if there are any left) charged me an extra 10% on top as apparently that is what the cycle scheme charge them. All in all I think this is going to turn out more expensive than just buying the bike by the time I make the final purchase, if and when I get the bike.:sad:

BSRU

A Human Being
My employer also took ages but that was due to having to wait until beginning of April for the new tax year when our scheme actually started, despite being approved in February. Then there was a further delay due to Easter holidays and HR all being away at the same time.

I already knew that an added 10% is expected on sale or discounted bikes.

Still worth the wait in the end^_^

heppy

Regular
I'm not so sure your issues are with Cyclescheme which is how the thread title would lead you to think. I think your frustrations are due to the whole process of which Cyclescheme are a single part.

There are a lot of factors to consider when looking at how to purchase a bike nowadays and with a bit of research the right decision can be reached that matches both your personal financial situation and expectations.

There are plenty of threads explaining the pros and cons of using cyclescheme and would certainly promote researching prior to deciding on using such scheme.

The wait is a drawn out affair but as can easily found online the expectation should be between 6-8 weeks from start to finish. Just think about the endless miles of fun you will be having when the day finally arrives when you can pick up your new bike.

Last point, I would also recommend shopping around if the additional 10% for your local LBS is a problem. I found there were a number of shops willing to offer some great deals for my voucher.

Good luck and happy cycling when the time comes

From first indicating to my employer I want to take part in Cycle2Work to receiving the bike it can take 2 months, in that time I certainly wouldn't be daft enough to sell my old bike. I can however approach the LBS, pay a £10 deposit and sit back and wait knowing that it may take some time to process.

It sounds like your issue is with your empoyer and the bike shop, not with Cyclesheme themselves.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
From first indicating to my employer I want to take part in Cycle2Work to receiving the bike it can take 2 months, in that time I certainly wouldn't be daft enough to sell my old bike. I can however approach the LBS, pay a £10 deposit and sit back and wait knowing that it may take some time to process.

It sounds like your issue is with your empoyer and the bike shop, not with Cyclesheme themselves.
Or as a colleague here did, pay £100 deposit but when the voucher turns up find they sold it to one of their Sunday morning shop based club clique anyway .....

Nearly there

Veteran
A colleague of mine applied for a certificate on feb 6th received his certificate at his home address on the 9th and received his new bike on the 16th feb

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Some people here had their bike within a week through th Halfords scheme, infact my employer chased me as I'd not completed the paperwork correctly.
Very please with the service I recived, had to wait awhile for a Cube in my size and was told end of Feb early March. Had my first proper ride this morning :smile:

Or as a colleague here did, pay £100 deposit but when the voucher turns up find they sold it to one of their Sunday morning shop based club clique anyway .....

Unlucky:sad: But problem with the LBS then not the Cyclescheme.....

I dealt with Chevin Cycles in Otley, can't praise them enough. CycletoWork was adminstered by Halfords and again no problems.

lulubel

Über Member
My employer just refused point blank to have anything to do with it when I was looking to buy my first road bike. They claimed I was the only one (out of a few thousand employees) who would want to do it, so it wasn't worth their time and effort. I wonder how many other people they said that to.

Again, not a problem with Cyclescheme.

It's all down to cycle scheme receiving payment.

My lbs accepted my credit card details as security and I got my bikes about three days after the email saying accepted.
Took a further two to for weeks for the certificate to arrive.

Tony

Norm

Cyclescam.

I set up a stand-alone scheme, selected a bike, collected the cheque, took the cheque to the LBS and collected my bike in about 2 days.

The OP says - Cyclescheme - Don't bother.

Norm says "Friends don't let friends use Cyclescheme".

I have just got a bike through the Halfords administered scheme, but I sourced the bike from a LBS. It was all painlessly done, and the LBS apologised that they couldn't deal on the price because of the cut that halfords take. I ended up paying list price, but the LBS is offering me a free bike-fit if I want one, so I am a happy customer. It is the first time I have used the scheme, but I doubt that it will be the last.

Edge705

If your employer has not started taking deductions from your salary you are in no mans land However if they have then they have an obligation to get it sorted The same happend with me I was prepared to wait a little until my company started taking deductions without me having the voucher. I roasted our HR department for this and within a week I had my voucher. Your employer makes considerable savings out of this scheme through NI savings on your salary so its in their interest as well think of the scheme as an interest free way to buy a bike with a little added saving on top for the inconvenience of having to lease to the end of 48 months other than that its not that attractive

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive thought about it (my employer has one scheme or the other) couldnt be arsed to wait for the paperwork issues, and looking at what some have said you actually save, which according to some, isnt that much, how much you pay at the end etc etc etc...ive decided sod it, i'll just go buy the one i want, when i want, from where i want.
Simples...

Top Bottom