Cycle Super-Highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
A bit more info about the Super-Highways.

Mayoral Q&A:

*101** / 2009 Cycle Super-Highways*

Could you expand on your plans regarding the 12 cycle super-highways and
where these will be built?

*Joanne McCartney*

Cycle highways will be a set of twelve high-profile radial routes into
and out of Central London that will concentrate cycle flows and provide
a fast and efficient way into the centre.

TfL is currently working on the definition of the specific routes; it is
expected that a more detailed announcement will be made by the Mayor in
Spring. This will include information on the implementation of the first
routes and associated package of measures.

Cycle highways will comprise a package of innovative measures, including
information along the route, to encourage people to cycle. They will
also include engineering interventions where necessary.

Due to the nature of the road network, Cycle Highways cannot be a
'one-size-fits-all' solution; however, they are likely to be based on
the following basic principles:

· *** Safety*: All routes will include safety measures. These
may include traffic calming measures, enforcement and advance stop
lines among others.

· *** Directness*: They will follow direct and reliable
routes into Central London with clear information on cycling time
to destination provided.

· *** Continuity*: The whole route will be clearly marked
from beginning to end.
· *** Visibility*: Each route will have a clear identity--
e.g. 'Docklands Cycle Highway' or 'Northern Line Cycle Highway',
with consistent and easy to follow road markings and signs.

· *** Comfort*: Road surface conditions will be improved and
obstructions will be minimized.
· *** Value for Money*: To make best use of existing
resources, cycle highways will concentrate on pragmatic and simple
measures and will not depend heavily on engineering
interventions.

CotterPin

Thanks for this, Origamist. I am still a little bit confused about two things, however:

How will the "super highways" will be in any material way on the ground different to the LCN+?

And given the fact that Johnson cut funding for the LCN+ because he said the measures needed to complete it (for instance at junctions) would be unpopular (ie with motorists), how will these issues be addressed with the "super highways"?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi O,

I'm sure you've seen dellzigg's excellent info-rants in Campaign, which I think describes the problem to a T. Give roads with cycle-lanes a fancy name, splat down some more paint and spend the cash on some champers and consultants.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Dellzeqq is almost a neighbour of mine (I'm a SW16 man) and I agree with him that the A24/A3 is already a cycling "Super Highway" and I am sceptical that a Mayoral backed "Northern Line" Cycle Highway will be any better. I'd love to be proved wrong though...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I like the idea of diplaying cycling time to destination (maybe they mean on maps, but I'd like to see signs by the road). Add in driving time (assuming normal peak traffic) and some people in cars might start to see sense...

Otherwise, token road paint is just that - token.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Arch said:
I like the idea of diplaying cycling time to destination (maybe they mean on maps, but I'd like to see signs by the road).

I don't know - where they already do this for cars (e.g. motorways) it seems to me the timings are set at such high averages they become targets, rather than useful indications...

Arch said:
Add in driving time (assuming normal peak traffic) and some people in cars might start to see sense...

...but that's a great idea. You are 10 minutes away by bike or 30 by car...

Arch said:
Otherwise, token road paint is just that - token.

Absolutely

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Brief details of the first two "Super-Highways":

The Southwark route will be the A24/A3 - Merton - Tooting - Kennington Park Road - Elephant and Castle improved bypass - Southwark Bridge Road - Southwark Bridge - City.

The route must be ready by May 2010. The other pilot route is City - Cable Street - east out along the A13.

lech

The one approaching the Olympic Park from the north east, where my house is, is a load of steaming crap.

(the Superhighway, not my house)

aj82

I ride part of the A24 route daily, although I work out of town so go in the opposite direction to rush-hour flow but it'll be interesting to see how the Northern Line highway will pan out or if it's yer usual Johnsonian blustering.

Frankly I can't really see it working on narrower town centre stretches, like Tooting, too much clutter, parked vans, idiots stepping out in front of you.

Presumably nobody further out than Merton has ever considered cycling. Is it just going to stop at the Colliers Wood tower then?

Questions, questions.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What sort of interventions are meant? If you're serious about it surely it would mean double yellow lining a lot of these routes?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Origamist said:
Brief details of the first two "Super-Highways":

The Southwark route will be the A24/A3 - Merton - Tooting - Kennington Park Road - Elephant and Castle improved bypass - Southwark Bridge Road - Southwark Bridge - City.
it would need to be - both the eastern and western bypasses are pretty awful. But, then again WHY DON'T THEY REDESIGN THE ELEPHANT SO IT IS A NICE PLACE TO BE? As in walk and cycle. (With apologies for capital letters).

Origamist said:
The route must be ready by May 2010. The other pilot route is City - Cable Street - east out along the A13.
ffs. Cable Street will never be a Super-Highway.

Top Bottom