cycle to work scheme... advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Hi guys, am sure this will have cropped up before. i have a meeting with the occupational health boss of my firm, (large govt agency), they have sounded really positive but dont know about the scheme and are keen that i tell them more. Have printed tons of stuff off the net and i understand how the scheme works...... what is the best tack to convince them to take it forward to the executive?

Also if asked ,which scheme would you recommend. I quite like the one that uses local bike shops, or failing that evans. They will want the one that does most of the work i suspect.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy

skwerl

surely a large govt agency shouldn't need any convincing re the benfits of the scheme? Shouldn't they be actively encouraging participation?

skwerl

well. if they can't figure out the benefits...
you could indicate that they get to keep the VAT (if eligible). technically it's possible to pass the VAt on to the employee too, which results in not far off a 60% saving but most companies keep the VAT as a sort of 'admin fee'

In terms of schemes. We used halfords for a couple of years and have now moved to Cyclescheme, which seems to favour local suppliers. i haven't experienced their admin capabilities yet as I don't re-qualify for my next bike until October (which is when i'll find out the "fair market value" of my current bike)

doyler78

It is unlikely that your organisation will be able to reclaim VAT so best to steer clear of that argument unless you have peculiar tax arrangements which would allow this.

The scheme is basically self financing as the organisation can appoint a cycle to work facilitator who will look after providing marketing material and administering the purchasing process and any costs incurred by your organisation will probably be offset by the savings in your Organisations National Insurance Contributions.

The Trusts responsibilities will be to ensure that the scheme is widely publicised and that the systems are in place in order to be able to make the salary sacrafice from employees wages. On this point it would be good to find out if your organisation offers any other salary sacrafice scheme in place such as child care vouchers in which case this strengthens your argument for introduction as the mechanisms are already in place.

Point out the large number of other government agencies that are already making use of the scheme.

You could finish your spiel with something like this:

The introduction of the cycle to work scheme allows our organisation to offer all employees an additional employee benefit at no cost to our Organisation. It will help in meeting the government's objectives of encouraging healthier lifestyles and promoting more sustainable forms of transport. In meeting these objectives the Organisation can expect to have a healthier and more motivated workforce helping to reduce absenteeism levels. It will be seen to take positive steps towards reducing this organisations carbon footprint. Its a scheme where no one loses and everyone gains.

Here's a useful link:

http://www.networks.nhs.uk/networks/page/368

Danny

Legendary Member
As it is a government agency you should argue that taking part in the Cycle To Work scheme will help achieve key government targets around:
  • Sustainability and the reduction of carbon emissions
  • Reducing road congestion
  • Improving health and reducing obesity
If you can, see if you can find a senior manager, who is interested in promoting cycling and is prepared to champion the idea and push it through.

We were luck in my organisation as our Head of HR and Chief Exec are both keen cyclists.

Also if you can try to convince them to go for the version of the scheme run by Cycle Scheme as this allows you to get bikes from a wide range of local bike shops. Other versions of the scheme are much more restrictive and force you to go to, say, Halfords or Evans.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Thanks Danny,

cyclescheme was my thought as to the best scheme, and will be the one that i suggest if asked. Does anyone have direct experience of them??

thanks andy

abchandler

I set up a scheme with them 18 months ago. Simple web site logging of the order and simple forms to fill in and sign. Vouchers arrive through the post. I certainly recommend them.

Admittedly I set it up and to date am the only employee to have taken up the scheme, but our company gives it a 100% record :smile:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'd make it very focused on the two key benefits to the employer:

- Happy employees = lower staff turnover
- Healthy employees = reduced absenteeism

Ben

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Best of luck with it.

If it's a government department, it'll involve someone, somewhere, making a decision, in my experience of them, this is never popular.

Danny

Legendary Member
andyfromotley said:
Thanks Danny,

cyclescheme was my thought as to the best scheme, and will be the one that i suggest if asked. Does anyone have direct experience of them??

thanks andy

My employer uses Cycle Scheme and neither they, nor colleagues who have bought a bike through the scheme, have had any problems.

Spoke to my local LBS about it though, and they are not too happy as Cycle Scheme take a 10% commission from any sales through the scheme. But presumably they are still making some money out of it or they wouldn't take part. But I got the distinct feeling that I wouldn't get very far in negotiating any discounts if I tried to buy through the scheme.

Top Bottom