Cycle to work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

I bought my new bike last weekend. Had a quick look at the scheme but decided as I didn't think I would be cycling to work until next Sept that I wouldn't qualify.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
You don't actually need to cycle to work in order to participate in the 'cycle to work' scheme.

OP
OP
W

Willow

The tax exemption only applies when an employee mainly uses the cycle and cyclists' safety equipment for qualifying journeys. A qualifying journey for an employee means a journey, or part of a journey,
  • between his or her home and workplace, or
  • between one workplace and another,
in connection

bigguy

i have no doubt that is the rule.... however... in the place I work, at least half of the employees have used the cycle to work scheme, but as most of them either live too far away to make cycling practical, (so dont ride to work) or as seems the case, found it an easy way to buy a bike for a son/ daughter as a birthday pressie or whatever.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Just had a closer look at the details on whether you actually need to cycle to work and its not quite a simple as I thought.

"There is no requirement for you to cycle to work for a specified number of days throughout the year and there is no special requirement for you to record your trips. You can also use the bike for leisure at weekends and on holiday, although a bike purchased under Cyclescheme should be ridden for at least 50% of time during trips to work."

doyler78

I would be pretty sure that you will not be permitted to enter the scheme now using the bike you have bought. Reason is that you are the owner of the bike whereas the scheme permits the employer to loan a bike to the employee for which the employee must give up part of their salary to pay for the hire of the bike during the salary sacrifice period. As your employer is not the owner of the bike they therefore cannot loan you the bike. As the sale has already occurred you are lawful owner of the bike and that legal position cannot be changed by anyone.

You can of course use the scheme to buy another bike if you want one.

Hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom