cycle to work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CamR

IIRC the paperwork states that 50% of the riding time on the bike should be work related, however I don't know of anyone who has been asked to prove the ratio of work v leisure riding time. HTH ;)

ian emmerson

Cycle to work

I work for a large employer whereupon many bike have been bought through cycle to work. Although the expectation is at least 50% of use must be for commuting i havent heard of any actual checks being made.
I know of colleagues who purchased bikes last summer and still havent used them for travelling to work.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I seem to remember that it said that the bike was to be used primarily for cycling to work, or at work.
Are you sure that someone is going to be clocking how many miles you do on the commute as opposed to on Sundays?

If asked I can state quite categorically that I got the bike to cycle to work on. Primarily.

At my place of work i suspect they are actually relieved that most who bought bikes through CTW dont use them. As there is very little provision for cycle parking.

Broadside

Guru
The CTW scheme is a perk from the employer, and providing you ride the bike at some point then the government have achieved their aim of getting more people fit. Under the scheme you are only leasing the bike for the first year normally and then your employer will sell it to you for a laughably small sum.

My employer has been running the scheme for three years now and there have been no checks at all, and much like the OP I work for a large corporate; if checks were necessary or requested by the taxman/government then they would definitely do them. I ummed and ahhhed for a while myself, but in short I would not worry about it.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
It miffs me a bit that my company won't do the CTW scheme, and I would ride almost 100% of the time. Yet some people can buy a bike via the CTW scheme (cheaply) on a whim and never use it?

It's not fair, my dummy is out of the pram!!!

OP
OP
cyclenic

cyclenic

my conscience is making me cautious. TBH unless i move 10 miles closer to my work, or move to a new job (which is both very very unlikely) i'm not going to be cycling to work on it.
I know it's unlikely they will check, and how would i/they record it.

but, what should i do?

cyclenic said:
my conscience is making me cautious. TBH unless i move 10 miles closer to my work, or move to a new job (which is both very very unlikely) i'm not going to be cycling to work on it.
I know it's unlikely they will check, and how would i/they record it.

but, what should i do?

It says 'cycle to work' but its really geared towards getting people to exercise more. If you feel the distance to commute is a little far for you, dont let that put you off. Get the bike and use it for leisure to start with, as you fitness level builds and you get bitten by the cycling bug, you will soon be able to tackle the commute.

ComedyPilot said:
It miffs me a bit that my company won't do the CTW scheme, and I would ride almost 100% of the time. Yet some people can buy a bike via the CTW scheme (cheaply) on a whim and never use it?

It's not fair, my dummy is out of the pram!!!

Its annoying isnt it, as I said in my previous post the fact that people dont use it to commute doesnt really bother me, as long as they use it other times.

I have a friend at work who got a very nice Trek MTB about £750 worth, and as far as im aware its never been used.

Top Bottom