Cycle training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian emmerson

My employer has asked me to look for any training that would allow me to take groups on rides and after a quick look their is so many to choose from.
What training would I need to lead groups of no more than 4 through trails roads etc.

Whilst I am an experienced cyclist myself any advice would be appreciated.

Couldn't turn down the opportunity to get paid to cycle could I ?

I've no idea but a mate who used to lead a city cycle tour business used to moan about the insurance; that was the reason he stopped!

boydj

Legendary Member
Depends where you are in the country. Google 'cycle ride leader' and see what comes up in your area. Cycling Scotland run these courses and there are plenty of similar down south.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've just been in contact with Sustrans for their ''adopt a school'' project in Greenwich (the idea is to keep some bike-advocate continuity in local primary schools for when the full-time officer has moved on or when funding for their job runs out). It seems that I might be able get some cycling instructor training for free in return for a bit of volunteering. I'm doing a little training course-cum-induction tomorrow. If I find out anything that might help you tomorrow I'll let you know.

Alternatively, if you have a local CTC campaign group, they'll quite probably have someone who's qualified as an instructor that can give you advice about training - or at the very least, they'll know all about led rides. I know that there's a local bunch called Cycle Training UK who do instructor training.

Insurance! what, for riding a bicycle basically? what country was that in?
It was Ireland, so their law could indeed be different and maybe because he was running cycle tours as a business. With my club and other clubs I have been in, its only personal third party insurance that seems to be an issue and the CTC/BC cover new members for up till 5 rides.

OP
OP
I

ian emmerson

Thanks for your responses guys, very helpful advice.

Speaking again to my manager this morning and although she is keen for me to undertake recognised training she has spoken to our health and safety people who are quite happy for me to organise planned rides in and around my local areas, as long as no severe off road riding is undertaken.
I work for a local authority so it appears the lack of funds are now prohibiting " non essential " training.
On a positive note she has authorised 2 bikes to be purchased which i will look into next week.
As for insurance , which i mentioned from the advice you gave , i am automatically covered at a good level of 5 million.

So not all is lost, at least i can cycle during working hours , cannot be bad !

Top Bottom