CycleChat Investigates - politics

What is your political perspective?

• I'm so daft I think I voted for Boris/Keir, even though I'm not in their constituency and cannot s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Dad voted for my party, and his Father before him, and policies are an inconvenient distraction

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
You all know my view on this one. I don't care what colour or cause they represent, if they belong to a party and their lips or writing hand are moving then they're lying.

But it seems im in a minority here. Some people seem to treat politics like a game of football, and boo the away team regardless of what a dreadful mess the home team are making of the game. To me this is unfathomable.

So, as always, CycleChat cuts through the fat to get to the lean meat of the matter. What do you really think of the petty, misguided game of self interest that is laughingly called politics?

classic33

Legendary Member
Stand, get elected on your own merits. Then choose a party to back whilst you're in.

One takes solace when one cast around looking for a better system than the Westminster model. Interestingly gender wise, Women political leaders of this era are doing exceedingly well, pandemic or no pandemic.

OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
If they learned to cooperate better in a crisis and spent less time slagging each other off, I would have more respect for them. Some days my 4yr old grandson talks more sense and behaves better.

Oh, and you need a better spell checker 😉
One has no feeling in two fingers, so ones typing is terrifhsb.

One takes solace when one cast around looking for a better system than the Westminster model. Interestingly gender wise, Women political leaders of this era are doing exceedingly well, pandemic or no pandemic.
Ah, you mean like Theresa May, Aung San Suu Kyi, Ursula Von Der Lederhosen... oh yes, never put a foot wrong between them :laugh:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Politics is all about attacking the decisions of the opposition and looking for dirt on key figures then shouting about it in an old historic building...

We need class politicians and instead settle for Grade A pillocks who couldn't light a fire in a room full of matches and petrol...

if they belong to a party and their lips or writing hand are moving then they're lying
This is profoundly wrong IMO.

Many people in politics do it for positive, public spirited reasons, whether or not I agree with their policy proposals.

They are not "all just the same", as you propose, and I think that to suggest they are is destructive and indeed plays into the hands of those who represent the very worst.

To paint Theresa May and Boris Johnson as the same is as ridiculous as suggesting Gordon Brown and George Galloway are equivalent.

Oh, and your poll is silly.

OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Well, duh! :laugh:

mistyoptic

Über Member
This is profoundly wrong IMO.

Many people in politics do it for positive, public spirited reasons, whether or not I agree with their policy proposals.

They are not "all just the same", as you propose, and I think that to suggest they are is destructive and indeed plays into the hands of those who represent the very worst.

To paint Theresa May and Boris Johnson as the same is as ridiculous as suggesting Gordon Brown and George Galloway are equivalent.

I’m sure there’s much good in what you say

The problem, as in a discussion about cyclists, demonstrators, football supporters etc., is that the badly behaved few taint one’s perception of the good ones. Fuelled by amplification/misrepresentation by our media who, as a group, should probably be first against the wall

You all know my view on this one. I don't care what colour or cause they represent, if they belong to a party and their lips or writing hand are moving then they're lying.
Broadly that's the view of politics I've subscribed to for much of my adult life, and still the one that feels right.

Paradoxically, I'm presently a supporter of (and somewhat impulsively at the time of the 2019 GE a member of) the SNP. I'd characterise that as an opportunistic alignment, given that in the tailspin of Tory brutalist Brexit, pandemic mass-murder by wilful incompetence, thermonuclear-grade Tory corruption and trousering billions of taxpayers' money - living in Scotland with groundswelling support for independence has felt broadly akin to being at the back door of that burning, corkscrewing Boeing 737 with the only parachute.

So my political affiliation is a means to an end, in the unlikely event that aim's achieved (or more probably, abandoned when the tanks start rolling down Princes Street & Scotland's democratically elected government is shoved, hooded and handcuffed, into the backs of unmarked, blacked-out vans) I will almost certainly return to my former state of engaged but bitterly contemptuous political alienation.

Top Bottom