CycleChat Investigates - politics

What is your political perspective?

• I'm so daft I think I voted for Boris/Keir, even though I'm not in their constituency and cannot s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Dad voted for my party, and his Father before him, and policies are an inconvenient distraction

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
I’m sure there’s much good in what you say

The problem, as in a discussion about cyclists, demonstrators, football supporters etc., is that the badly behaved few taint one’s perception of the good ones. Fuelled by amplification/misrepresentation by our media who, as a group, should probably be first against the wall
Very true.

An additional thought. RT may be right, there may be honest, decent, trustworthy, intelligent, hard working MPs out there. However, they undo any righteousness they may have displayed by aligning themselves with a political party, the top flight of which always prove to be the opposite.

There's little point the backbenchers being like Mother Theresa crossed with Albert Einstein, when every cabinet and shadow cabinet going back to WWII has produced examples of self serving, dishonest, undemocratic, inept, and even downright criminal behaviour.

Last edited:

Joffey

Veteran
I think it's very a very lazy attitude to think they all are as bad as each other and this apathy is why we are in the mess we are in currently.

OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Yep they've all got their noses 'in the trough' although the CONservatives do seem worse :cursing:
Since the turn of the century five Labour MP's or ex Labour MP's, have been imprisoned for having their fingers in the till:

Eric Illsley, Labour, fraudulent Council Tax expenses claims.
Elliot Morley, Labour, expenses fraud.
Jim Devine, Labour, expenses fraud.
David Chator, Labour, expenses fraud.
Dennis McShance, Labour, false accounting relating to expenses.

Since then no Conservative MPs have been imprisoned for fraud or kindred offences.

So who has their noses in the trough then? This is exactly my contention that people are willing to overlook gross examples of bad behaviour on their own team to criticise the away team for the same perceived shortcomings.

(In the interests of balance it should be noted that Fiona Onasanya, Labour, and Chris Hulme, Fib Dem, and Lord Archer, Conservative, went down for pervert the course of justice offences, and Charlie Elphicke, Conservative, for filthy pervert wandering hands offences).

Interestingly, compared to the general populatuon MPs are over 4 times more likely to end up in prison. It seems being a criminal is almost a prerequesite for becomeing an MP, and financial crime the preserve of Labour MPs in recent decades.

Yet the Conservatives are the ones with their nose in the trough. Hhmmmm.

Edwardoka

Serene Doge
I voted for "We should have a Presidential system" as that is the most closely aligned with the constitutional makeup of the Grand Republic. Just so long as you don't try to introduce "term limits" or "elections" you get to keep your head.

Best wishes
Serene Doge Edgar I "The Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia" Pugglesworth

Joffey

Veteran
Since the turn of the century five Labour MP's or ex Labour MP's, have been imprisoned for having their fingers in the till:

Eric Illsley, Labour, fraudulent Council Tax expenses claims.
Elliot Morley, Labour, expenses fraud.
Jim Devine, Labour, expenses fraud.
David Chator, Labour, expenses fraud.
Dennis McShance, Labour, false accounting relating to expenses.

Since then no Conservative MPs have been imprisoned for fraud or kindred offences.

So who has their noses in the trough then? This is exactly my contention that people are willing to overlook gross examples of bad behaviour on their own team to criticise the away team for the same perceived shortcomings.

(In the interests of balance it should be noted that Fiona Onasanya, Labour, and Chris Hulme, Fib Dem, and Lord Archer, Conservative, went down for pervert the course of justice offences, and Charlie Elphicke, Conservative, for filthy pervert wandering hands offences).

Interestingly, compared to the general populatuon MPs are over 4 times more likely to end up in prison. It seems being a criminal is almost a prerequesite for becomeing an MP, and financial crime the preserve of Labour MPs in recent decades.

Yet the Conservatives are the ones with their nose in the trough. Hhmmmm.
You get sent to jail for fiddling a few grand in expenses but you don't get sent to jail for awarding millions of pounds worth of contracts to your mates :whistle:

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
One takes solace when one cast around looking for a better system than the Westminster model. Interestingly gender wise, Women political leaders of this era are doing exceedingly well, pandemic or no pandemic.
I don't believe that a woman who behaved in the way that Boris Johnson is reported to have behaved would have got anywhere near the keys to No 10.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
I'm not too sure...Patel maybe ? Your forgetting that the voters of this country actually "like" Johnson.
How many children does Priti Patel have? I think a woman would be held to different moral standards to a man. For example I think a lot of Johnson's supporters would be appalled if a woman had an affair while her husband was recovering from cancer. You think the Tory party wouldn't have sexist double standards?

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
You missed out the "All politicians are honest and looking out for the Good of the People" option

anyway - My opinion - most of them start to do something for the country/people/world/whatever but the toxic system forces them into a box where they have to vote for things they wouldn't otherwise.
and that process starts before they stand as they have to prove they loyalty to The Party to get selected

I know why they don;t do it - but I think a lot of good would come from votes in Parliament being secret - so the MPs can vote for what they think is right not what The PARTY dictates
They will say they can;t do that because the MPs constituents are entitled to know what they MP has voted for
but in reality they need to control their party - because they cannot count on convincing their own members that their policy is right!

Reactions: C R

Adam4868

Guru
How many children does Priti Patel have? I think a woman would be held to different moral standards to a man. For example I think a lot of Johnson's supporters would be appalled if a woman had an affair while her husband was recovering from cancer. You think the Tory party wouldn't have sexist double standards?
I don't...that's where the Tories are successful.They do as their told.Maybe they'll turn on Johnson when the time is right who knows ? I won't hold my breath though.Tell me where Patel has had a hard time because she's a woman...she hasn't.

Reactions: C R

Eric Olthwaite

Insert witty self-deprecating description here
What do you really think of the petty, misguided game of self interest that is laughingly called politics?
I think that most people lack the self-discipline - or in some cases bone fide motives - required to engage with the argument advanced, rather than their views on the person advancing it.

I try not to, but I'm sure I do this myself sometimes.

As a result through, most discussions on politics are a complete waste of fckn time.

Last edited:

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
I don't...that's where the Tories are successful.They do as their told.Maybe they'll turn on Johnson when the time is right who knows ? I won't hold my breath though.Tell me where Patel has had a hard time because she's a woman...she hasn't.
It seems like Patel has got where she is by being a ruthless bully. Which is kind of my point. I don't necessarily think that women are better at handling pandemic situations, but I do think that the system is so geared against women that in order for them even be in that position they either have to be very very good, or extremely ruthless. What's the saying about exceptional women and mediocre men? Even someone like Jacinda Ardern, almost universally admired but she had what, half an hour maternity leave or something?

As for Patel, will her temperament see her to No 10? We'll see if she decides to have a crack after Johnson. Would old establishment Tories fancy a bossy Asian woman in charge? I can imagine a few of them having a problem with that.

Adam4868

Guru
It seems like Patel has got where she is by being a ruthless bully. Which is kind of my point. I don't necessarily think that women are better at handling pandemic situations, but I do think that the system is so geared against women that in order for them even be in that position they either have to be very very good, or extremely ruthless. What's the saying about exceptional women and mediocre men? Even someone like Jacinda Ardern, almost universally admired but she had what, half an hour maternity leave or something?

As for Patel, will her temperament see her to No 10? We'll see if she decides to have a crack after Johnson. Would old establishment Tories fancy a bossy Asian woman in charge? I can imagine a few of them having a problem with that.
Totally get your point and I don't think Patel would stand a chance.But were still missing the point of no matter what Johnson did or it seems does.,hes still well liked by a large proportion of this country.His extra marital affairs,lies,casual racism never did him any harm ? Do you honestly think if we had a female Tory PM it would make a difference?

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
Totally get your point and I don't think Patel would stand a chance.But were still missing the point of no matter what Johnson did or it seems does.,hes still well liked by a large proportion of this country.His extra marital affairs,lies,casual racism never did him any harm ? Do you honestly think if we had a female Tory PM it would make a difference?
It's all part of the bumbling Boris charm I suppose. I don't know but I suspect that a woman's extramarital affairs might be seen a bit differently.

Top Bottom