CycleChat Investigates - politics

What is your political perspective?

• I'm so daft I think I voted for Boris/Keir, even though I'm not in their constituency and cannot s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Dad voted for my party, and his Father before him, and policies are an inconvenient distraction

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Adam4868

Guru
It's all part of the bumbling Boris charm I suppose. I don't know but I suspect that a woman's extramarital affairs might be seen a bit differently.
I suspect you may be right,but who knows as long as their in power they might just overlook it ? They seem ok to overlook most things.
Don't call him Boris !

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

Interestingly gender wise, Women political leaders of this era are doing exceedingly well, pandemic or no pandemic.
Really?

Angela Merkel hasn't exactly played a blinder.
Ursual VdL has been universally derided, on here as much as anywhere else.
Le Pen could be President next year with a following wind.
Sturgeon has had an absolute shocker and botched the whole Salmond thing.
Ardern down under. She went to a bbq declaring all was well, and locked down 2 days later due to an outbreak!
Patel is being slaughtered in this thread alone.
Foster has just resigned following a no confidence vote.
Abbott has disappeared totally.
Suu Kyi is one step removed from being a genocidal maniac.
Kamala Harris has been quite quiet, but it's very early days and she seems very talented.
At least one woman MP has been jailed.

So, undoubtedly there is talent in politicians male and female, I don't see why you have singled out the senior female politicians as being especially talented. I don't think they are any more or less talented than the male ones.

I don't know how to improve it or change it, but the party system to me is one of the worst things. Certainly over here in the States. I cannot, and I mean cannot, abide the sheer hypocrisy of one party going all out attacking the opposition, with the opposition vigourously defending it on the moral high ground... only for the same thing in reverse to happen some short time later.

Uh oh.. soapbox:ohmy:n
Since when does it matter what political party you are in to be judged on the merits of your behaviour? When will some members get the guts and balls to call out something that is wrong or right regardless of which party is involved rather than have a judgement motivated by which party is involved? I cannot have any respect for any politician until they do that. And the sad thing is, it seems some people (who aren't politicians) are so blinded by their political affiliations, they don't care....
soapbox :ohmy:ff

And one more sad thing: I fear I don't even have to provide an example of this as it's too easy to find.... I have to go now, before I get too worked up and depressed thinking about this.

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
The thing that annoys me about the Party system is the same
People who vote for their party no matter what - the old "we are Conservative - always have been Conservative and I'll never vote for those damn Labour people after Michael Foot looked scruffy at the Cenotaph that year"
and similar

We need to look at what the policies are and look at how they will affect REAL people
rather than look at political ideals and then head for them no matter what

I really think secret votes in Parliament would help - won;t happen but I can think it if I want!

Craig the cyclist

If we are looking for real reform, can we chuck in some mechanism for dealing with broken manifesto commitments? It is too easy to say 'We commit to looking at.....' or 'We will seek to reform...' etc. Because it sounds like a promise, then they get in and say 'well we looked at it and it won't work so we aren't going to do it'

Definite statements only timed for year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. 2 years in prison for the PM who then breaks that timed pledge.

I think the reality of potentially being in charge has dawned on Starmer today, he was asked earlier if he backed nurses- yes. Did he back their professional bodies- yes. Did he think they were undervalued- yes. Did he back their professional bodies for a pay rise- yes. Would he back the 12.5% the RCN are calling for- ooooeerrrrr, well, er, we will look at it, mumble. Would you?- They shouldn't have a pay cut. Would you back 12.5%?- We would start negotiating at 2.5%. So that is a no then. But I actually think that saying no is perfectly ok! Why commit to something that deep down you know you can't do and you just become a hostage for someone picking up on that part of the interview in 5 years time when everything may be completely different? Just say '12.5%, you are having a laugh, of course not. We will start at 2.5% then negotiate up to something like 4% over three years.

Personally I would respect that a whole lot more than slagging of the Conservatives for not doing something that he wouldn't do either, and just for clarity, the other way around as well this not peculiar to one party or the other, they all do it :okay:

byegad

Legendary Member
I've personally known a few MPs.
One was a time server, not interested in anything except serving the party line to ensure he kept his seat.
Another was a campaigner who sometimes upset her leadership, but under a new party leader got into the cabinet.
The next was a waste off space and his own party dropped him at the next general election.
The final one was a great guy, interested on representing his constituency, sometimes against party lines.
Even the good ones were lions lead by donkeys.

Top Bottom