'Cyclecraft' - The Book or Experience?

Cyclecraft - Is there a point?

• Yes - Have bought\read the book and swear by it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - Have bought\read the book but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know

• No - Rely on my own judgement and I'm doing fine without it

• Both - The book and experience are complementary

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

trustysteed

mods, please can this be moved to cafe?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Origamist said:
Both - the two are not mutually exclusive.

+1

There's no either/or. From cyclecraft I've learned how and when to take up an assertive road position. From experience I've learned not to ride down the inside of a left turning bus. And so on....

As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong in Cyclecraft. So I continue to recommend it, just as I recommend the Highway Code. But as with driving, I firmly believe that one never stops learning, and that's where experience comes in.

Weegie

blazed said:
Only douchebags read these books.

:evil:

Where's the harm in trying to improve your skills? I'm going to read this book. If I learn a few things, great. If I don't, then I know my common sense is working for me.

Or are you saying the books teach BAD techniques?

Jonathan M

blazed said:
Only douchebags read these books.

Bit like the driving douchebags who display no apparent knowledge of the Highway Code, which they should all have read to achieve a driving licence?

Molecule Man

I have never read (or even seen) Cyclecraft, but I have heard a lot about what it recommends on internet forums and elsewhere.
It seems to coincide quite closely with what I have learned through experience alone over the last 20 years.
Maybe if I had read it when I started cycling, I might have avoided some scary moments when I started off cycling regularly in towns and cities.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Molecule Man said:
I have never read (or even seen) Cyclecraft, but I have heard a lot about what it recommends on internet forums and elsewhere.
It seems to coincide quite closely with what I have learned through experience alone over the last 20 years.
Maybe if I had read it when I started cycling, I might have avoided some scary moments when I started off cycling regularly in towns and cities.

Yes, and that's the point - 20 years worth of experience in a book. Add in your own common sense (for those that have it:wacko:) and you can only benefit.... And I think for many people, having a manual like that to follow will give them the confidence to gain the experience (just as training might).

Trusty, do you want the poll edited to include "both"?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't think I can/should shift votes to represent people who've already voted - it'll have to stay as is for that....

Top Bottom