cycling after surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
I had surgery to repair an umbilical hernia last week.How long before you start cycling again.My consultant says 6 to 8 weeks.Has anyone of you guys been and had the same op? and when did you get back in the saddle?

Hardrock93

Veteran
Ah, I'm interested in this info, too. I had a hernia repair last Wednesday and the parting shot from the nursing staff was 'don't lift anything heavier than a kettle for six weeks.' Raising pints ok, vacuuming and carrying groceries not - so not all bad, then.

Come to think of it, when out on the bike I've not a been aware of muscles in that area being put under much stress, but that may be a false impression. I took a slow two mile walk today and I expect to be walking much further by the six week mark, so I wonder if some 'easy' cycling isn't out of the question sometime before that?

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
Ah, I'm interested in this info, too. I had a hernia repair last Wednesday and the parting shot from the nursing staff was 'don't lift anything heavier than a kettle for six weeks.' Raising pints ok, vacuuming and carrying groceries not - so not all bad, then.

Come to think of it, when out on the bike I've not a been aware of muscles in that area being put under much stress, but that may be a false impression. I took a slow two mile walk today and I expect to be walking much further by the six week mark, so I wonder if some 'easy' cycling isn't out of the question sometime before that?
I was told much the same as yourself regarding lifting weighty stuff,broke the not lifting kettle rule the very next day as no way can i go without tea when stuck in all day on my own.I have found walking half a mile to the local shop and back hard going...felt i had a wee preview of what its like to be an old biddy..your doing well to walk 2 miles..wish i could..don't overdo it eh..take it easy :smile:

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
  1. People on this forum know cycling stuff and general medical theory as best
  2. Your consultant knows medical stuff and your case in detail
If I was in your position I would listen to the consultant and not a bunch of strangers typing random thoughts into the ether.

Thanks for that Touche...i intend to be a good boy and do as i'm told

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
Alan - I hope you recover quickly. Just think, 6 weeks - that'll be near the end of Feb. It'll be warmer with longer days....spring will be around the corner. Just the right time to start riding :-)

Yes...can't complain too much as don't do much cycling where i live in Jan/Feb as weather tends to dictate when you can go out.

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a lower right inguinal hernia done 18 years ago, I was back on turbo after 4 days on the road after 7 days and racing again at 6 weeks. This OP was carried out by the British Hernia Clinic and I took their advice, they do a lot of work on professional sports people so understood my desire to get back training. Not that I was a pro, just a keen amateur.

I do agree with taking professional medical advice, trouble is if you have a doctor like the one we used to have he thought any exercise was a bad idea, luckily the one we have now does triathlons.

Hardrock93

Veteran
I had a lower right inguinal hernia done 18 years ago ...

Unlike the OP, this is exactly what I had done last week. I wonder if there is a significant difference between the different types of hernia. (TBH, I was too squeamish to do much research on the subject).

Anyway, all the best with your recovery, Alan.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hardrock93, that is why I backed my post up by adding take medical advice.

boydj

Legendary Member
I also had an inguinal hernia done a few years ago.I followed medical advice and was back on the bike after about 4 weeks - but taking it very easy for another couple of weeks.

The cause of the hernia was a cycling incident which had me wrench my left foot out of the spds while taking avoiding action to stay upright. I mention this to demonstrate how easy it would be to cause further damage by trying to progress too quickly after the op.

screenman

Legendary Member
Copied from a page of the British Hernia Centre.

We all differ in our recuperative powers but it is quite typical for a patient, after as little as 45 minutes, to be able to get up, go up and down stairs, go for a walk, even ride an exercise bicycle, and not need any bed-rest at all.
After ensuring that the patient is well enough, he leaves for home. Patients are often able to go for a gentle jog the day following the operation and steadily get back to normal routine. Indeed, we encourage as much activity as is comfortable as soon as possible.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
When I broke my collarbone I was told it would be 6 weeks till I was back on the bike, took me double that!
Let your body do the talking and only get back on when you are ready.

screenman

Legendary Member
I just did what the surgeon told me I could, my point being different doctors different opinions. I do certainly agree with taking expert medical advice and as always listen to your body.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I had a lower right inguinal hernia done 18 years ago, I was back on turbo after 4 days on the road after 7 days and racing again at 6 weeks. This OP was carried out by the British Hernia Clinic and I took their advice, they do a lot of work on professional sports people so understood my desire to get back training. Not that I was a pro, just a keen amateur.

I do agree with taking professional medical advice, trouble is if you have a doctor like the one we used to have he thought any exercise was a bad idea, luckily the one we have now does triathlons.
Hi, sorry for the bump n quote. I ended up in A&E on Wednesday night in agony, a combo of trapped air and testing my bike repairs trying to ignore the wind, until I was bent over, anyway long story short it deflated and reduced while waiting in casualty and the Dr diagnosed Inguinal Hernia.

I am not sure what to do and will need to see my GP, I noticed you had yours done at the British Hernia Centre? Did you have it done privately or reffered?
I assume from you post you were happy was it day surgery?

I have read a few horror stories of problems post op which has worried me, also quite a few NHS area only use watch and wait, I assume as I was in so much pain mine was slightly or completely trapped by the air.

Top Bottom