Cycling Camaraderie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
Is there a secret wave or nod we need to learn when meeting fellow cyclists coming in the opposite direction to you?
Most fellow cyclists give a nod,shout of morning or some form of wink in Essex where I ride..which is pleasing.
Obviously I don't bother with the hoodies on a BMX with a bull terrier on a piece of string running behind..they don't take it a serious as me...And to the 2 guys in Hornchurch this morning on road bikes who shouted you're going the wrong way and waved.I only assume you wanted me to join you!
Is your region full of polite riders?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Around Epping they all seem to be cheerfull, always a nod or a wave,

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
There seems to be a mixture round here. I don't usually see that many other riders on the routes I do so I tend to greet everyone i meet (even the hoodies on BMX's).

I find it's the people on similar bikes to mine (trekking bike) that are most likely to ignore me which seems odd. Most other riders are pretty friendly.

Mrbez

Around Amersham, I will say hello, good morning/afternoon to anybody. I get a response around 60% of the time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am one of those cyclists who ignores others sometimes, only saying hi if I can be bothered or in a good mood. And not fussed in the slightest if other cyclists don't say hi to me.

Though if I see someone roadside I always ask if they are ok or need help.

Reactions: gaz

redcard

Veteran
I am one of those cyclists who ignores others sometimes, only saying hi if I can be bothered or in a good mood. And not fussed in the slightest if other cyclists don't say hi to me.

Though if I see someone roadside I always ask if they are ok or need help.

Same here. I might wave or say hello to 3 or 4 cyclists in succession, then I just think I've done my fair share, and concentrate more on the ride.

Though, I always say hello or give thumbs up when overtaking.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Bike snobbery is alive and well around here. Depends very much on which bike I am out on as to who will acknowledge! Go out on the MTB and roadies will mostly ignore you; go out on the roadie and MTB'ers will mostly ignore you :wacko:. Go out on the roadie dressed in jeans and T-shirt and everyone will ignore you :rolleyes:.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I find the further you are from a city or large town the more chance of getting a nod or a wave. I give a small finger wave without taking my hands off the hoods normally dont really care if its not returned.

Shrimp_Stu

Always say "Good Morning", even if I am riding in the afternoon....get as many replies as I do blanks but then again I am not bothered. I also greet pedestrians, joggers, posties when I am out on the roads....If I am cycling along quiet country lanes then another human being gets a greeting!

I normally nod or say morning/afternoon regardless of what type of bike they are riding and i dont really remember anyone not nodding or replying ?

But is it really bike snobbery if someone does'nt reply ? when your walking down your high st do you say hello to everyone because they are another pedestrian ? or wave at all the other motorist when your driving your car ? probably not because people would think your the local idiot

Simon

Bike snobbery is alive and well around here. Depends very much on which bike I am out on as to who will acknowledge! Go out on the MTB and roadies will mostly ignore you; go out on the roadie and MTB'ers will mostly ignore you :wacko:. Go out on the roadie dressed in jeans and T-shirt and everyone will ignore you :rolleyes:.
Almost identical to what I find!

I will add that I refuse to wave,nod or in any way respond or acknowledge a rider without. Helmet.
Please don't start an anti/pro helmet spin on this thread - its just my thing.

Top Bottom