Cycling, hobby, transport or dangerous thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevetailor125

According to my wife I can't count cycling as a hobby, in her opinion it's just a form of transport, now according to the dog groomer, bicycles are dangerous things, yet to her horses are safe( try telling my friend that shes on crutches froma horse falling on her twice).
So is cycling a hobby or what do you think?

david k

Hi
ive never tried cycling a horse, interesting thought

david k

Hi
biggrin.gif
oh stop horsing around. The serious question is what type of gearing would you need for a large horse? triple chain set?

Davidc

Guru
So back to the OP:

Cycling is a very safe activity. Safer than walking, horse riding, being at home, and probably safer than travelling in a 4x4 vehicle. There are plenty of statistics to back that up.

Cycling is more dangerous than travelling by air or by train or on a passenger ship.

It is certainly a form of transport, certainly a leisure activity, and a hobby for many.

People who ride bicycles live, on average, 2 years longer than people who don't, and yes that takes into account the approximately 6% of road fatalities who are cyclists.

You'll often hear the rubbish you report in the OP, that's because many people are ignorant and mis-informed.

gavintc

Guru
So back to the OP:

Cycling is a very safe activity. Safer than walking, horse riding, being at home, and probably safer than travelling in a 4x4 vehicle. There are plenty of statistics to back that up.

Cycling is more dangerous than travelling by air or by train or on a passenger ship.

It is certainly a form of transport, certainly a leisure activity, and a hobby for many.

People who ride bicycles live, on average, 2 years longer than people who don't, and yes that takes into account the approximately 6% of road fatalities who are cyclists.

You'll often hear the rubbish you report in the OP, that's because many people are ignorant and mis-informed.

Be quite cool to commute on a horse though. Parking would be problem.

Highfire

For me it is a hobby and also transport.

On my early morning rides of 1 to 1.5 hours it's purely for the enjoyment and the exercise, but later in the day if I have an errand to run then my bike is out of the garage ahead of my car wherever possible. Of course the ride is still great, but more often than not there is something like a doctors or dentists appointment in the middle of it!

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
According to my wife I can't count cycling as a hobby, in her opinion it's just a form of transport, now according to the dog groomer, bicycles are dangerous things, yet to her horses are safe( try telling my friend that shes on crutches froma horse falling on her twice).
So is cycling a hobby or what do you think?

I spent 3 months in traction, 9 months with a cage a round my leg after a horse riding accident, I have broken over 20 bones in various other sports/hobbies.
In cycling i have had a few minor grazes & a couple weeks ago I strained my knee as one of my cleats was 'wonky'
I reckon that just about makes cycling the safest of my hobbies!

Transport and hobby here...but why can't it be all of these at the same time?
I enjoy my ride to work\shops etc. and deliberately take longer routes purely because I do enjoy it.

I'm sure off roaders only do it because their hobby combine fun, thrills and a certain amount of danger.

A bike rider is in control of their steed at all times (or should be), but a horse rider can only try to be in control of an independently thinking steed.

Peter91

Speaking as a cyclist and someone who used to do horse riding, the former is far less dangerous, faster, less expensive and requires less maintenance, but on the downside a lot less cute and warm.

Top Bottom