Cycling in the 50's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunlopdave

Hi all
Went round to my girlfriends parents house yesterday,they were keen cyclists in the 50's and 60's both members of Redhill & Reigate ctc.My eyes popped out when they showed me certificates of 100 miles in 8 hours for for my girlfriends mum and 240 miles in 24 hours for her dad, loads of other Certs like this and they weren't racing just going out on organized tours.They were showing me pictures of cycling to the lake district and overnight to stone heng.when you think of all the fancy bikes we ride now they did all this on what must have been big heavy bikes.
AMAZING!!!!!!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was still on tricycles in the 50s but by the time I was cycling, around the late 60s, there were some very good bikes around, with good steel frames, crossbars and double clangers, and bikes hadn't been engineered out of the road network - that got under way, as I remember it, around the early 80s.

That's not to belittle what the GF's parents achieved, though. They seem proud of their outings, and rightly so. Do they still ride? If not, there's a challenge for you:whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

I did a number of 50 in 4's and 100 in 8's in the 1990's. Theres something very satisfying about completing one of those, and it was great sitting having an after event cuppa and a chat whilst waiting to pick up the certificate. Good memories.

ayceejay

Guru
Once upon a time there was a lady member of R & R who used to make a bonk cake (I once had the recipe too) a couple of slices of that and you were good to go for at least a week, maybe that was their secret:smile:. With less traffic and fewer crazy b*stards on the road Reigate Dorking to Brighton and back on a Sunday was a breeze, bonk cake in the musette of course.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
The CTC still have rides of this nature, I know, as a member, I've done some.
Usually, on the day, you either ride, or you help. I used to be a riding marshall on the 'Tri Annual Vets', (100 miles for the over 50's).
Nowadays, I'm the one who needs the help. ^_^ Some sections also organise Audax events. If you're a 'trophy hunter', there are still plenty of opportunities to get certificates & medals.

Top Bottom