Cycling on a 'low ebb'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I've not felt 100% for the last couple of days, nothing major nor anything I could put my finger on. Just a bit run down I guess. I didn't fancy going out for a ride yesterday at all so I realised something must be wrong! So I woke this morning feeling no better but thought 'sod it' I'm going out, the ride will lift me!

Mistake!

There was little energy or enthusiasm for it. Climbs I've enjoyed where hard work, no real strength in the legs. Came back after an hour almost wishing I hadn't gone out. It's odd, moments like that you feel like packing it all in!

If I am in low spirits then cycling does lift my mood, but if I'm not physically right then cycling really does find it out. If I could just tell the difference between feeling low & feeling unwell!

I recognise your dilemma, yello!

Spring only arrived here in Oslo this last week, but since I started work here 4weeks ago, I've had to commute by bike, regardless of the weather or my mood/form as there is no other alternative of getting to work (apart from walking - an hour - or taxi -£15-£20).

Now, with warmth (10c) and sunshine I'm looking forward to getting out, just for a ride to see the surrounding area and get a bit of fresh air/exercise, and not for a ride per se.

I'm sure it's a lot wamer/more peaceful in France there than here, so just re-mount and just have a slow meander around the lanes and breathe in the spring air and marvel at the blue sky and (generally) the simplicity of things.

Your mood will pass and your form and enthusiasm will return.

Bon chance! :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

yep I know what that is like, and it usually happens on days like today when we get some decent weather at the weekend for a change. I find it helps a little to do a less 'challenging' loop on days like these, just a short flat spin rather than a long haul. Well that is the theory, but often I just crash out on the studio sofa with a good guitar.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That was me last weekend...feeling knackered but commited to a ride. Did me in! New in my heart of hearts it was not the right thing to do. Sometimes you just have to listen to what your body is saying and take it easy. It's not a crime.

Hi Yello. I think it's this time of year. I was exactly the same a week and a half ago. Did a 40 mile ride, felt fine but my legs went at 30 miles just couldn't turn the pedals. The next few days saw me really tired. I tried the turbo but my HR wouldn't come up at all so I left it for 4 days. I then felt better but on the next ride after that i noticed my HR was a bit higher than normal and sure enough the next day down I came with a little cold, which I've now got. Will do a gentle spin on the turbo today and leave it untill Tuesday before I go out again.

I find the HR monitor pretty useful for telling the difference between just not being in the mood and actually brewing on something. HR low when you ride = body is tired, so turn around and go home. HR high when resting or elvated on the ride where it normally isn't (thanks to Kirstie for clueing me up on that last one), then quite possibly you are about to come down with a virus.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yeah - been there. Need to lift mood = go for a ride. But viral infection = stay at home. It's sometimes very difficult to self diagnose. I've even been to the GP for an adjudication before now.

Currently have an infection. Started last week so I did all the correct things - no riding, time off work etc etc. Even take an extra day off just to be certain. Go out for a tentative ride - which went well. But next morning bug returned. So that'll be another week out and I've my first Sportive next weekend Reckon I'll be sitting it out :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think that was me last saturday. Went on a usualish 10+ mile route variant, came back cold, knackered and completely drained. Was pretty fed up last saturday so put it down to that. Monday and things were back to normal although I've had a couple of days this last week where I've not been on the bike at all and seemed to have the most marvelous ride in the torrential rain and hail last night. That said I have an interview on monday so decided to ditch the longer ride I had planned and going to the LBS later to look at stuff for the sake of it. Still hope someone else enjoys the good weather.

I would be 'lifted' by a ride in France yello - whereabouts are you BTW?*
My 'outlaws' are French and live near Beziers...I can't wait to cycle into and out of St Chinian and bust my b******s taking the D909 back from Bedarieux etc...
My F-I-Law is desperate to get out and about on his bike - but he has to rest for three weeks due to a vein problem. He's 73 and will be patient.
You have to be patient too - things will seem like fun again some time soon...
:biggrin:

* Ah - not a million miles from Chateauroux... saw the avatar note after writing!
You could always plan a tour to collect/hand over the Cyclechat jersey - I'll be 'in France' 12th - 25th June...that's if peeps are not still in the process of delivering it to Arch etc... :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
btw yello...judging from your avatar you do seem a little pale...

OP
OP
Y

yello

I am interested in doing part of the cyclechat jersey tour... it's a matter of logistics though.

I live between the finish of stage 5 and the start of stage 6 of the tour, so I'll get to see both quite handily. I may be riding the stage 6 route with a local club the day before/after the stage itself, I'm not sure which because my French is crap!

Re the 'low ebb', my heart rate didn't look anything out of the ordinary so maybe I'm just feeling mentally low. I'm not going on the club ride tomorrow though, I'll have a gentle pootle in the afternoon instead just to see how I feel. I suspect we all have ups and downs, in health and the head!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Woke up this morning with a cold, so there's my answer!

From another thread...

Tim Bennet. said:
If you feel you are riding 'harder' than your HR would suggest, then there is something wrong and you should go home and rest.

That was me yesterday morning!

Top Bottom