Cycling pros and gods I need your help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've run some of my frame numbers through the Bike Register database out of curiosity, and never had a hit - even on a bike that had a prominent warning sticker on the top tube saying it was registered! That I find very odd, unless the frame number wasn't recorded correctly - in which case even if the bike was stolen there would be no way of knowing or proving it one way or the other. That bike was £12 so I won't worry unduly about it. If I was buying bikes in three or four figures I would take a less casual approach, but I generally don't pay much over £20 for a used bike, so it doesn't represent much criminal profit potential.
The original owner probably sold it on, de registered and the new owner didn’t register. I’ve done that before
My point was the btwins aren’t 25 years old. Hence my saying it seemed cheap for a good condition modern bike

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
Regarding the 30 pound bike it was just brought from a retired guy who just fixes up bikes and sells them on he said he had this one just as a frame and gears and just threw some wheels on it. Didn't think about the stolen thing tbh but he had like 20 bikes and a website and loads of good reviews and feedback so I think he's legit but like you say you never know.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
People selling bent gear tend to like to do so anonymously, using public handover places and cash-only transactions. They don't want to leave an audit trail! No criminal with half a dozen brain cells to rub together is going to sell bent goods from his own permanent address and use a website etc I bought three cannibalised donor bikes as a job lot from just such a retired bloke once and it was pretty clear that it was essentially a cycling-related hobby with a small-scale beer-money sideline on top.

vickster

Legendary Member
People selling bent gear tend to like to do so anonymously, using public handover places and cash-only transactions. They don't want to leave an audit trail! No criminal with half a dozen brain cells to rub together is going to sell bent goods from his own permanent address and use a website etc I bought three cannibalised donor bikes as a job lot from just such a retired bloke once and it was pretty clear that it was essentially a cycling-related hobby with a small-scale beer-money sideline on top.
Precisely, but the OP didn't say how he'd acquired the bike

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
The clean down / strip down starts tonight people, got my eye on a shimano tiagra short cage rear mech on ebay, I'll grab a new cassette over the coming days, new gear cables and outer cables, a new hanger and a new chain so over the next week will hopefully have some progress updates. Again a big thank you to everyone's contribution on this post

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got a new-ish Sora rear mech in a box somewhere that I don't want. I think there's also an 8 speed cassette with it too. Possibly one or two other Sora bits. PM me and I'll post it to you in exchange for a small charitable donation. But be warned I may be a bit slow to get it all organised if you do want it.

vickster

Legendary Member
The clean down / strip down starts tonight people, got my eye on a shimano tiagra short cage rear mech on ebay, I'll grab a new cassette over the coming days, new gear cables and outer cables, a new hanger and a new chain so over the next week will hopefully have some progress updates. Again a big thank you to everyone's contribution on this post
What cassette are you wanting if looking at short cage? Very flat where you are?

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
What cassette are you wanting if looking at short cage? Very flat where you are?
I have picked up a shimano sora 12-25 cassette for 7 quid I was going to get a 12-27 but decide the 25 would be perfectly fine for where I live. Regarding the rear mech I'm going to get what was originally on the bike so like a shimano tiagra or sora short cage.
It is flat where I will be using the bike with only a few hills I can deal with the hills easy on the hybrid bike I picked up so shouldn't be a problem on this once it's running :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t know if it matters but isn’t one 9 speed and 1 is 10 speed?

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
I don’t know if it matters but isn’t one 9 speed and 1 is 10 speed?
Bbb do a 9 12 27 speed one which is cheap but I figured as it's my first time rebuilding I'd stick as close to the original set up as possible and get the shimano sora 12 25

wonderloaf

Veteran
Looking at your photo's the cassette is an 8 speed (I think), so a 9 or 10 speed cassette wouldn't fit. I know this sounds obvious and sorry if I've misunderstood but in the thread you mention Sora and Tiagra cassettes which are currently 9 and 10 speed respectively so won't be suitable. Maybe older 8 speed versions of Sora and Tiagra would be OK though.
Just thought this would be worth mentioning as don't want you making a costly mistake!

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
Hey all wanted to update you all and thank you all for your initially advice and suggestions on this.

Unfortunately after a very long clean and strip down these bike is not worth restoring literally everything is trashed.
My friend ( same one) has scrapped the bike frame but again kindly gave me his old kids bike to take advantage of the halfords 15 percent trade in. We took a trip to our local halfords where they had a very interesting looking bike a carrera crixus on sale at 249. Which I brought
I know people slate carrera and halfords but I figured I've been doing just fine doing 12 mile a day on that old btwin hybrid bike despite the bumpy parts I picked up so this should be fine for me. I'm excited to pick it up and test it out. I'll probably change the wheels upgrade the canti brakes and the pedals. Would like to spray it too haha but all in all I think I'm going to be very happy with it at just over £200

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Nothing wrong with carrera bikes themselves, but be wary of their "mechanics."
I wouldn't let one of those monkeys loose on my bike if my life depended on it. And in the case of brakes, it literally does.

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
Nothing wrong with carrera bikes themselves, but be wary of their "mechanics."
I wouldn't let one of those monkeys loose on my bike if my life depended on it. And in the case of brakes, it literally does.
I was very dubious about letting them set the bike up having read some very negative reviews, however I spoke to the guys in the hike hut for a good amount of time both of whom I spoke to did group meets and other competitive cycling so I'm hoping ( fingers and toes crossed) they know what there doing. If not ill get it down to the lbs for the stuff I can't do myself

Top Bottom