Cycling, Safety and Sharing the Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Thanks for this, Matt

this is a nicely written, thoughtful report, and the language shows a real appreciation of the diversity of cyclists. I liked the section about avoidance/guardedness/assertion/opportunistic. This leads to a subtler appreciation of cyclist's choices

To understand the different behavioural approaches used by cyclists, it is helpful to take a step back and consider the context in which those approaches are being deployed. The easiest way to do this is to look at the contrast between bicycles and cars.

One important, if obvious, difference is that bicycles are much narrower than cars. This fact creates a lateral ‘degree of freedom’ within lanes which cars lack: a car is either in a lane or not, but a cyclist can choose where to position themselves within a (car-width) lane.

In fact, one could argue that within any given car lane there are at least three embedded (if unmarked) cycle lanes: left, middle and right (see Figure 3.1 below). This is most obvious when approaching a right turn in a single (car) lane. A car approaching such a turn does not need to cross any lanes to get into position, whereas a cyclist needs to move from the ‘left-of-lane’ position to the ‘right-of-lane’ position, signalling (as cars have to when they change lanes) before doing so. The best car-based analogy for what a cyclist has to do here would be approaching a junction with three lanes (turn left, straight ahead, and turn right) and finding yourself in the left-turn lane when you want to turn right. The kind of stress a driver experiences when they make this mistake is probably not a bad model for the stress cyclists can experience whenever they have to turn right.

This was a particularly telling passage

For instance, one driver in London described how he had realised too late that his left turn was coming up, leaving him (as he saw it) with two choices: overtake and cut off a cyclist in front of him or slow suddenly, creating a hazard for the traffic behind him. He had chosen the first option, and a minor collision had resulted.

What is striking about this particular example is that there was, in fact, a third option: miss the left turn and find another route. The fact that this option did not occur to the driver, even in retelling the story, could be seen as an indication of the way in which stress can cause a narrowing of focus on the task in hand. Alternatively, it might be seen as a form of attitude failure.

That said - I'm not sure where this takes us. The authors have, perhaps inadvertantly, undercut the DfT's approach to cycling, which is to make a model of cyclists' behaviour and to seek to channel or modify it. The authors of this report suggest that there is no one model, and that the sheer variety of cyclists (ladeez and gennulmen, I give you the folk on CS&) makes channeling or modifying cyclists' behaviour nigh on impossible. Whether somebody at the DfT draws the conclusion that it's the 'terms of trade' that need to be adjusted, not the behaviour of cyclists, only time will tell.......

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've not read it from beginning to end yet, but I am finding it fascinating, especially with regard to younger riders and for example the BMX'ers, and risk-takers who may carry on to be risk takers in other walks of life as well.

Thanks - it will take me a while to assimilate the points.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Yes, I thought the section on Avoidance, Guardedness, Assertion and Opportunistic was really interesting. It was a useful way of categorizing cyclists, although (as they admit) there is a 'continuum' that spreads over these groups.

The problems as I see it are that

1) For people who might want to cycle by a principle of avoidance, there is not much of an incentive. Infrastructure in the UK is generally crap - piecemeal, inconsistent and inconvenient.

2) Cycling in the 'guarded' fashion - as they describe it - is dangerous. It's gutter riding.

3) Assertion - the best way to ride with traffic. Unfortunately this requires confidence and speed, and not every cyclist possesses these attributes. While confidence can be increased, for some people speed never will be.

4) Opportunistic - which we can discount, because it is basically lawless and/or dangerous.

Davidc

Guru
I've just read it. Fascinating, well written, and with sensible analysis.

It says that more needs to be done to add quantitative research to this qualitative start, and that's clear throughout.

I would hope that if they do that the connections to accident types and severity from riding styles, attitudes, bike usage, and 'ORU's attitudes and actions would be included.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Although generally interesting, I have some issues with it, not least the sample size. They couldn't find one woman who is interested in going faster or further? Not even one? That indicates to me that their selection criteria were too narrow or they didn't ask a large enough sample of cyclists. I also had issues with their default assumption that helmets/hi-viz are necessarily a good thing, and the way they discussed ways of promoting helmet use to those who don't want to wear them, as well as bringing up the ridiculous notion of compulsion. When they talked about promoting hi viz, they did so because it would make other road users feel that cyclists were trying to help them. At what point was there any discussion of promoting to other road users behaviours that would be helpful to cyclists?

I need to read it again properly, but it wasn't exactly ground-breaking. Non-cyclists lack empathy towards cyclists. No! Really? Who'dve thunk?!
rolleyes.gif

Sam

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I also had issues with their default assumption that helmets/hi-viz are necessarily a good thing, and the way they discussed ways of promoting helmet use to those who don't want to wear them, as well as bringing up the ridiculous notion of compulsion. When they talked about promoting hi viz, they did so because it would make other road users feel that cyclists were trying to help them. At what point was there any discussion of promoting to other road users behaviours that would be helpful to cyclists?

My thoughts exactly. There is something of a 'blame the victim' mentality going on here. Frankly motorists should be able to spot objects that aren't covered in hi-viz. If they can't, they shouldn't be driving.

What next? Pedestrians being compelled to wear day-glo when walking along pavements, to make sure drivers don't veer into them?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
[/size][/font][/color]
What next? Pedestrians being compelled to wear day-glo when walking along pavements, to make sure drivers don't veer into them?

Er Highway code already says you should: -

3 - Help other road users to see you. Wear or carry something light-coloured, bright or fluorescent in poor daylight conditions. When it is dark, use reflective materials (e.g. armbands, sashes, waistcoats, jackets, footwear), which can be seen by drivers using headlights up to three times as far away as non-reflective materials.

5 - Organised walks. Large groups of people walking together should use a pavement if available; if one is not, they should keep to the left. Look-outs should be positioned at the front and back of the group, and they should wear fluorescent clothes in daylight and reflective clothes in the dark. At night, the look-out in front should show a white light and the one at the back a red light. People on the outside of large groups should also carry lights and wear reflective clothing.

What I often wonder is why don't cars have to all be painted in high-vis colours?

davefb

Guru
[/size][/font][/color]

My thoughts exactly. There is something of a 'blame the victim' mentality going on here. Frankly motorists should be able to spot objects that aren't covered in hi-viz. If they can't, they shouldn't be driving.

i think that attitude is from people who dont drive a lot.. it's amazing how easy cyclists with dark clothing , no lights can disappear into the background..

motorcyclists leave their lights on, cars have reflectors all around, some cars have driving lights and often drivers will stick side lights on if its rainy.. whats the problem with sticking something 'dayglo' on ?

anyway, wasnt there a company that noticed its vans got into more accidents when they changed 'corporate colours' from red to grey?

Ravenbait

i think that attitude is from people who dont drive a lot.. it's amazing how easy cyclists with dark clothing , no lights can disappear into the background..

I drive a lot. Wish I didn't have to but I do. I don't need cyclists to be wearing eye-bleeding colours in order to see them because I'm actually looking out for them.

I agree at night lights are necessary and I'm not talking about ninja cyclists. My bike is decked out like deep sea plankton and I've had compliments from drivers on its visibility. I wear black. The only bit of hi-viz I wear are a couple of wrist-bands when it's a bit dim (reflective at night) for signalling purposes.

The problem with hi-viz is that it renders everyone who doesn't wear it less visible because drivers come to expect other road users to be bright enough to be seen from the moon. Does anyone want to get to the stage where if you are not wearing fluorescent yellow then a driver can be excused for hitting you? I don't see why I should have to wear sufficient PPE to make the H&SE think I'm being over-cautious just to walk to the shop.

Why is it always the case that pedestrians and cyclists are the ones told to solve the problem of driver inattention? It makes me so cross!

I'm really disappointed the report didn't mention selective inattention blindness.

Sam

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I'm not talking about lights, which IMO opinion should be used by cyclists in precisely the same fashion as cars, at night, and in gloomy conditions.

I'm talking about hi-viz.

Cars are not expected (or indeed forced) to be painted in hi-viz colours. Why should cyclists be?

Obviously it's a good idea to make yourself more visible - but the onus should be on the driver to spot people. They should be able to see objects in the road, and drive accordingly. Not everything that ends up in the road is going to be in hi-viz - be it fallen trees, wildlife, etc. I think for certain drivers, these kinds measures foster a degree of complacency and/or negligence about the unexpected, which makes road conditions more dangerous for everyone.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

selective inattention blindness.

Precisely the phrase I was looking for in my post below yours! Your post makes much the same point as me, but in a better fashion.

Does anyone want to get to the stage where if you are not wearing fluorescent yellow then a driver can be excused for hitting you?

I believe that is already happening. I'll have a hunt for some examples.

Davidc

Guru
I agree that it needs to be kept clear that it's the responsibility of the driver to spot other road users, including peds and cyclists.

I also agree with those who are in the report saying cyclists should help other road uses to see them.

I use bright lights on my bike day and night in all conditions. Some differences in the way I opeate them for light, dark, streetlit and country roads, but there are always lights on (apart from when I have someone else cycling behind me). I do so to try to make sure other road users see me. If it means they see me and not someone else then so be it.

I drive a car as well. Being a regular cyclist I'm probably more bike aware and bike friendly than many drivers. I still find it helpful if bikes have good lighting, if riders wear reflective or hi viz or just light coloured clothes, and it's also helpful if they let me know what they are doing.

Same goes for pedestrians. I'll do whatever I can to keep them safe, but I need to see them first, and some are so well hidden in their matt black clothing that I've nearly hit them on a bike at much lower speeds than in the car. Some cyclists are the same.

BSRU

A Human Being
[/size][/font][/color]
Cars are not expected (or indeed forced) to be painted in hi-viz colours. Why should cyclists be?

If cars were painted in hi-viz colours then cyclists in hi-viz would become almost invisible in some situations.

As a car driver I can see a cyclist in hi-viz a lot earlier and easier than someone in dark clothing.
Many drivers are in a rush to get somewhere "important", at junctions/RAB's they do not allocate a suitable amount of time for looking for a safe gap, hence something that stands out from the background is going to help them.

Ravenbait

If cars were painted in hi-viz colours then cyclists in hi-viz would become almost invisible in some situations.

So cars shouldn't be hi-viz so that cyclists can be? I don't quite understand your argument here. If cars were hi-viz then dark clothes would stand out against them. Problem solved.

Many drivers are in a rush to get somewhere "important", at junctions/RAB's they do not allocate a suitable amount of time for looking for a safe gap, hence something that stands out from the background is going to help them.

Again, you are suggesting that cyclists take responsibility for driver behaviour by changing their own behaviour to compensate.

The suggestion that cyclists should wear hi-viz all the time, run with bright lights all the time and all the rest is not entirely dissimilar from the suggestion that women shouldn't wear short skirts in case they provoke a man into attacking them.

A driver's responsibility to more vulnerable road users is not diminished by being in a hurry. I find it somewhat depressing that there are cyclists arguing that it is the job of cyclists to make drivers' lives easier, rather than the job of drivers not to make cyclists' lives more hazardous.

Sam

Top Bottom