Cycling Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shades.5

Hi all just got into this cycling lark and really enjoying got new bike , most of the clothing but yet to get any shoes yet , am soon to do bristol to london 100 miles do cycling shoes make a big difference , not into the shoes / peddles shoes thing though, any thoughts please

Tynan

Veteran
clipless shoes are brilliant, a no brainer, in so many ways

people will say practise before you go but I started off on commute one and was fine

dodgy

It's not the shoes that make the biggest difference, it's clipless pedals in general. I don't know anyone that's gone clipless and gone back to old fashioned clip pedals. As a novice, go for mountain bike type cheap pedals and shoes because they're double sided and arguably easier for a novice to clip into. Once you've tried them you'll wonder why you waited.
Shimano m520 pedals are a good choice paired with whatever shoes fit your budget and feet.
Dave.

Will1985

Über Member
TBH, the shoes are really only useful if you use pedals too - they have stiffened soles to aid power transfer. For a pedal, I'll second dodgy's choice of M520 - you can use normal shoes because of the wide platform too.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Massive difference with clipless. 2 seasons/3 years not using clipless and now a couple of months using clipless. It's far easier to keep a constant speed with clipless and you have a bigger choice of gears, suddenly the extra power in the lower gears and through the complete stroke make them much more useful. Hills are probably the biggest difference, because of a lack of grip I used to have to grind up hills with massive foot-slipping strokes, with clipless you can actually spin up mega steep hills if you want.

Mortiroloboy

Get yourself a decent pair of shoes and clipless pedals, become 'one' with the bike, pedal more efficiently, no slipping off the pedals, getting used to clipping in and out is fairly straightforward, set the tension on the loosest setting untill you feel more confident, don't worry though most of us still have the odd clipless moment.

What sort of bike are you on? will you be wanting the Sh*m*n* spuds or look/time compatible cleat shoe pedal combination?

I have a couple of pairs of SiDi shoes, winter and summer wear, and Look Keo pedals, sprints on the best bike and classics on the winter hack.

If you are intending on walking as part of a daily communute, then go for the Sh*m*n* SPD's as the cleats are recessed into the sole of the shoe, making it easy to walk, whereas Look/Time are bolted to the sole and stick out, you can get 'cafe covers' which protect the cleat when walking, but they aren't really designed with walking in mind.

Keith Oates

Janner
The Shimano SPD's are a good pedal for general use and as said above the shoes needed for them are also good for walking. If you are only using them for riding with very little walking then Shimano SPD-SL or other road bike pedals are better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janeyb

Never thought I'd say it but I'm with everyone else on this one. Recently went clipless on my commuter and road bike......although am using MTB SPDs as they are really easy. Taken to it really quickly with no mishaps! In fact, I went out on my MTB the other night which I haven't fitted clipless pedals to and it felt really strange....and nearly came off when my foot slipped! Give it a go. It's a bit scary at first but you'll really notice a difference.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
dodgy said:
It's not the shoes that make the biggest difference, it's clipless pedals in general. I don't know anyone that's gone clipless and gone back to old fashioned clip pedals. As a novice, go for mountain bike type cheap pedals and shoes because they're double sided and arguably easier for a novice to clip into. Once you've tried them you'll wonder why you waited.
Shimano m520 pedals are a good choice paired with whatever shoes fit your budget and feet.
Dave.

Agreed, they are what I started on and I wish I had done so years ago.

Halloway

I confess to being a bit confused over the shoe/pedal thing. Specifically, do you have to buy the shoe to match the pedal fixing or do you attach the fixing from the pedal to whatever shoe you buy?

TIA,
H.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Pedal with fitting for the cleat. Cleat separate (usually come with pedals but can buy separately. Shoe.

Screw cleat into bottom of shoe (in varying different ways). This makes two units - pedal and shoe with cleat that clips in.

From the pattern of some shoes I saw in shops, some take several types of cleat.

stewaran

I am currently waiting for my ride to work voucher to appear through the post,

I have ordered look Keo and Shimano shoes etc.

Will I be able to walk a little bit in them, just in a shop etc?

or will i ruin the cleats on the bottom?

gavintc

Guru
If you have bought Look Keo, you can get cleat covers - cost about £5 from most LBS. I use them every day and can walk around the railway station etc without the ice skate feel that cleats provide. in addition, you will not wear out the cleat. IMO, if you intend to walk further than the 10yds to the garage/coffee shop they are worthwhile investment.

When I bought my Trek, I also went to cleated shoes. Whilst I've had a few problems with them, over all a good improvement over foot straps.

I now need to get a replacement pair of shoes for my shimano pedals. Any recommendations?

Adrian

Janeyb

Janeyb said:
Never thought I'd say it but I'm with everyone else on this one. Recently went clipless on my commuter and road bike......although am using MTB SPDs as they are really easy. Taken to it really quickly with no mishaps! In fact, I went out on my MTB the other night which I haven't fitted clipless pedals to and it felt really strange....and nearly came off when my foot slipped! Give it a go. It's a bit scary at first but you'll really notice a difference.

Ok.....so I know it was my own fault for saying how easy clipless pedals are! I went and had a clipless moment on way home from work tonight! ;):?: It was actually very funny though! And I'm really glad it happened as it's out of the way now! Pride hurt.....nothing more. In fact I'm even more of a clipless convert now as my feet came out without much force, no harm done.

Top Bottom