Cycling Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leah

Payday spends! :biggrin:

I'm looking for some cycling shorts, but i'll be honest, i'm a bit lost. Are the pictures just really deceiving and make the padding look like it's not there? lol I'm also inbetween sizes and losing weight, how much do lycra cycling shorts stretch.. IF (lol) I was a size 12 on my way to a size 10, should I get 10's?

Does anyone have any reccomendations for some ladies lycra padded cycling shorts suitable for road cycling that are as cheap as possible, up to £30?

thanks

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wiggle's own brand dhb shorts are excellent value, get the bib version if you hate waist bands. The bib version also has a useful slimming effect.

StuartG

slower but further
Wiggle's own brand dhb shorts are excellent value, get the bib version if you hate waist bands. The bib version also has a useful slimming effect.
Bit long to be described as shorts. Anywhere I can find short shorts - or standard length shorts when the alternative was flares
wink.gif

gavintc

Guru
I know they are pricey, but my wife swears by the Assos ladies shorts. She finds the pad the best she has used. In the beginning, she started with buying cheaper shorts and now she has the Assos will only buy those ones. Indeed, for her older and cheaper shorts, she frequently puts two pairs of shorts on, to give the same padding effect of the Assos. She has bibs, but to be honest, she finds going for a pee a real hassle and tends not to use them for long rides.

Payday spends! :biggrin:

I'm looking for some cycling shorts, but i'll be honest, i'm a bit lost. Are the pictures just really deceiving and make the padding look like it's not there? lol I'm also inbetween sizes and losing weight, how much do lycra cycling shorts stretch.. IF (lol) I was a size 12 on my way to a size 10, should I get 10's?

Does anyone have any reccomendations for some ladies lycra padded cycling shorts suitable for road cycling that are as cheap as possible, up to £30?

thanks

I love Terry things - I have a 'skort' and also a liner short - the liner short is here from Minx Girl (who come highly recommended)
http://www.minx-girl.com/products/terry-liner-short/74/
[taking into account that you want road cycling and lycra, perhaps not for you, but for wearing underneath anything else these are great]

The liner is looser on me than the skort even though both are the same size. The problem with getting a size smaller might well be that the upper thigh elastic is too tight, but I think my liner shorts would be forgiving there (not the skort though)

e-rider

crappy member
Santini are supposed to be unbeatable value for money considering you get the finest shorts available for a 'reasonable' price

I know they are pricey, but my wife swears by the Assos ladies shorts. She finds the pad the best she has used. In the beginning, she started with buying cheaper shorts and now she has the Assos will only buy those ones. Indeed, for her older and cheaper shorts, she frequently puts two pairs of shorts on, to give the same padding effect of the Assos. She has bibs, but to be honest, she finds going for a pee a real hassle and tends not to use them for long rides.

I have a pair of Gore bib shorts (Gore Bike Wear Xenon Sonic Lady Bibtight Cycling Shorts) that have 2 zips at the back, for ladies to easily pee with, and it certainly made my 13 day touring holiday a lot easier from that point of view.

I would love to try the Assos shorts/tights, but at the moment, they are way out of my price range and I would image the OP's price range.

I have a pair of Santini 3/4 length 'knickers' as they are called, at the moment, and I'm not sure that I am that overly impressed with them tbh. The elastic is tight around the calves, and after a week of use the fabric has relaxed too much and now they are almost baggy around the backside and I feel like I am wearing a nappy which is not good.

My favourites are by far my winter "Northwave Ladies Queen Bib Tights". They are stunningly comfortable and great to wear., but I don't think they are made anymore - I got they in November 2008.

As for sizes, stretch your budget temporarily and order both the size 10's and the 12's and see which fit better, then return the other pair - or visit a LBS and accept the extra price tag for the ability to try on in the shop etc.

Top Bottom