Cycling (Sun)Glasses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve607

Hi.
I was wondering if there were any brands/types of glasses which you would recommend for cycling in the heat, through woods, and just generally on roads etc.
I live next to a Halfords in town, and was thinking of buying these today, if they have them:
Click.

It's got 100% UV protection. Good fit.
I'm not looking for any specifications in particular, but I do need stylish ones, with colourful effect lenses, and most importantly - that will do the job!

Thanks,
Steve.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Very expensive, but very, very good, and they offer free replacement if the frames ever break......

OAKLEY!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Those whose eyeballs don't survive a thermonuclear war!

Seriously, I love my Oakleys, and cos they cost so much you damn well look after them. And they look good, a $6 pair of sunnies look like a $6 pair of sunnies, Oakleys look cool!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Oh, and cheapo glasses may block out the UV, but they also often distort the light, and this tires out your eyes.....

My first set of cycling glasses were/ still are a cheap Lidl pair (£2.99 I think) as I wasn't sure how I'd get on with contact lenses and cycling glasses this was quite a reasonable way to try them out. Then I picked up the free Rudy Project pair from C+. Maybe someday I'll actually by a more expensive pair.

Will1985

Über Member
Probikekit.com has a couple of designs which come with 5 interchangeable lenses for different lighting conditions for £14. I've got 2 pairs of last year's model which serve me well.

OP
OP
S

Steve607

Thank guys, for all your (very different) opinions. :tongue:

Wiggle look great, they are definately worth a try - I hear they have fast delivery too!

Probikekit looks good also. Quite cheap prices, for what looks like great glasses.

Decathlon, not sure about for glasses? Couldn't find any as such... but great for clothing, good prices.

Haven't checked out Oakleys yet, but if it's expensive... for the same quality, then there's no point? Although, I will take a quick look later.

Thanks again, so many decisions!

- Steve.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ray Ban Wayfarers in black... for that gnarly Continental look...

Mr Pig

Fab Foodie said:
Ray Ban Wayfarers in black..

That's the eyewear I wear ;0) After twenty years I still prefer them to anything else I've tried.

I also found that cheap cycling glasses often distort your vision, which I hate. Each to their own, you really need to try these things.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mr Pig said:
That's the eyewear I wear ;0) After twenty years I still prefer them to anything else I've tried.

I also found that cheap cycling glasses often distort your vision, which I hate. Each to their own, you really need to try these things.
I agree about the distortion thing, hence I always end-up back with my almost 20 y/old RB's.
Other times I have a pair of clear Uvex safety glasses... they look OK, fit well and offer very good vision. Cheap as chips too.
I'm blessed with very long eye-lashes and find that most modern wrap-arounds are too close fitting.

Mr Pig

Fab Foodie said:
I'm blessed with very long eye-lashes and find that most modern wrap-arounds are too close fitting.

Me too. I bought a pair of RayBans, like the ones in The Matrix, recently (I got them cheap) but they annoy me.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have to agree with Mr Paul about the Decatlon ones. They were on offer at £4.95 last time I was there. They are seriously good quality, they look good and you can sit on them willy nilly!

Rob S

There's 1/3 off the price of all Oakleys at Grand Prix Legends at the moment...which brings the M-Frames down to £60 with smoked lens....still a lot of dosh for 5 bits of moulded plastic and some rubber...but if you need the status symbol.....

Top Bottom