Cycling to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am considering the possibility of cycling to work – a 50 mile round trip. I know that I can manage each leg, though I’m not sure if I would be able to do it on a regular daily basis.

It may be that I decide to drive part of the way, park up and then cycle the rest – easier and I wouldn’t have to get up quite so early. Additionally, I usually run 5 – 7 miles at lunchtime and I still want to be able to do that.

I was just wondering what sort of mileages are achieved cycling to work every day.

What do others find manageable?

spindrift

15 round trip is as fast as public transport. I'd struggle with longer I think, chapeau to you!

Mine's 7 miles each way and if it's raining like today, I use the car. 10 miles each way is the most I'd want to do on a regular basis. There was a doctor on Cycling Plus who was doing about 75 miles a day across the Pennines in all weather, but I think that's the most I've ever heard of.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do between 20 and 30 miles a day, every day.

50 miles return is alot for every day - you should try a day a week to start, pick the better weather forecasts, and then run on 'off days'.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
i do 27 mile round trip every day, takes about 1 hour more or less door to door. Up hill all the way home though.
For me, my distance is just about fine. Wouldn't like to do more then that 5 days a week, but everyone is different.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I'm struggling with 43 miles round trip, together with skating lessons for a few hours. I'm taking the train one way quite often at the moment which drops it to 30 mile round trip, and only doing the full trip about once or twice a week.

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
I must admit I'm struggling with 43 miles round trip, together with skating lessons for a few hours. I'm taking the train one way quite often at the moment which drops it to 30 mile round trip, and only doing the full trip about once or twice a week.

Not surprised Mike, 43 miles a day is a big ask for someone of your years! :biggrin:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I have a 47 mile roundtrip commute -but I only do it once or twice a week. This is for 3 reasons:

i. I'd be too tired to cycle that far every day of the week and I get home to a 7, 6 and 4 year old in an evening.
ii. The time taken is just too much. It would mean I'd spend 3 1/2 - 4 hours commuting per day -just too much.
iii. one day a week I have to drive the car for scheduling reasons.

To help out, I drive halfway and park at a fire station and then cycle in -a nice compromize.

LOGAN 5

I wouldn't want to do more than an hour each way. My current commute is about that and apx 24 miles round trip (slow bike and some hills plus London traffic etc). Going over the hour is psychologically draining at least for me. I commute every day in all weather throughout the year (except snow and ice of course).

Good luck.

Nigeyy said:
I have a 47 mile roundtrip commute -but I only do it once or twice a week. This is for 3 reasons:

i. I'd be too tired to cycle that far every day of the week and I get home to a 7, 6 and 4 year old in an evening.
ii. The time taken is just too much. It would mean I'd spend 3 1/2 - 4 hours commuting per day -just too much.
iii. one day a week I have to drive the car for scheduling reasons.

To help out, I drive halfway and park at a fire station and then cycle in -a nice compromize.

I have a friend who does similar... he is an officer in the met here in London...

He drives to a cop shop on the outskirts, parks up, and then cycles to his duty station.

Adrian

Big T

Guru
I used to cycle 21 miles each way to work. It cetainly gets you fit and is great in the summer (the first/last 8 miles were through country lanes). It wasn't pleasant in the winter with dark nights etc, so I used to shorten it to 10 miles each way and catch the train the rest of the way.

Doing that sort of distance does make you tired and you'd probably need to rest at the weekend or have one day of not cycling during the week.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I do between 28 - 40 miles Mon - Fri depending on how nice the weather is and whether I take the scenic ride in / home.

Whilst in the summer it could probably be done I doubt you would have the energy for a lunchtime run as well.

Rather than a set mileage I think time is the more crucial point. 60 - 90 mins each way is acceptable, much more than that and it could become a chore.

Top Bottom