Cycling 'tracks' in and around Keighley?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hope this is the correct part of the forum

Are there are cycling 'tracks' 'courses' that are free of traffic and able to get the miles in around Keighley?

No doubt there isn't but I'd thought I would ask the community

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can see why you don't want to ride the busy roads around Keighley itself, but there are some fine quieter roads not far from the Aire Valley, as long as you are not afraid of a few hills!

There are also lots of good bridleways and canal towpaths.

OP
OP
F
I can see why you don't want to ride the busy roads around Keighley itself, but there are some fine quieter roads not far from the Aire Valley, as long as you are not afraid of a few hills!

There are also lots of good bridleways and canal towpaths.

Went on the canal twice last week and one person on each ride asked if I had a bell. Monday I said I don't need one because I don't cycle on the canal much. Wednesday some older woman got mad with me so I told her what I thought of her.

Decided to buy a bell and I'll buy one when I feel like it.

Just looking for somewhere flat to get the miles in without worrying about traffic. I would cycle on the canal more, but they're resurfacing it from Utley Golf Course, so I cannot stay on the canal towards Skipton way. I don't know where the resurfacing ends. There is a road/track that I'll have to look at on a map.

Get an OS Explorer map of the area and then you'll be able to see all the byways, tracks, everything.https://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-maps/series/explorer-active-laminated.html

Can't spend anything at the moment. So I'll just look online.

ColinJ

Unfortunately, the simple answer is that there aren't any flat, quiet roads near you! You are in a very busy valley surrounded by hills. It is the same problem that I have over the hill in this valley ...

To illustrate the problem for those who don't know this area ...

The BUSY roads are almost flat.
BUSY A-roads through Keighley.png

Head in other directions though and the roads are anything BUT flat!
East to West through Keighley.png

South to North through Keighley.png

If you are willing to catch a train or drive somewhere with your bike then I could make some suggestions!

OP
OP
F
I usually drive somewhere now. Such as the canal, or Skipton. Was going to park at Malham Tarn this morning and cycle to Kilnsey on the roman road, but decided not to.

Venod

Eh up
I take the train to Steeton then cycle back home to Ferrybridge down the canal, joining it at Holden Park, I wouldn't do it on the road bike, but its OK on the CX, still a few rough sections but they have improved it a lot over the years, when I get to Leeds I take the Aire and Calder Canal and river path, 40 miles of near traffic free traffic, 70 to 80 round trip from Keighley if you don't mind a bit of rough.

ColinJ

How about catching a train to Leeds and change for one to Garforth? That is about an hour in total (each way) and is £7.10 for an off-peak return (or about a fiver if you have a railcard). It is very flat indeed out there and there are lots of quiet roads.

This is one 100km route that I have done a few times. It uses 'The Lines' cycle path to get out of Garforth (gradually downhill) and back again at the end (gradually uphill). The rest of the route is almost totally flat apart from one minor hill.

Garforth metric century.png

ColinJ

There are loads of good bridleways round here. The problem is finding ones without any hills!

Here's a nice little loop not too far from Keighley - approximately 5.5 km/3.5 miles from the town centre and 8 km/5 miles in length. Drive up there and do it as many times as you want to get your distance in. It isn't flat but for these parts it isn't too difficult and if you tackle it anticlockwise you will do the steepest slopes downhill. Great views from up there!

Scar Top loop.png

Ponden Reservoir from Hill Top.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

I was thinking that keighley running track (greenhead high school) would be ok, but I know they won't allow cycling on it. I just wanted something easy to get the miles in. If you look at my Strava you'll see what rides I tend to do. I'll have to get on the canal again tomorrow (depending on weather), but I'll have to buy a bell first. Not sure if there's going to be any room to fit one. Maybe I'll take the bike in to Halfords and see.

I may decide to have another holiday in Scotland but only myself and get some cycling done. They're single track roads up there where we stay.

Might do this ride at some point. Hopefully the link works, If not, Bascially it's from Laycock > Utley > Crosshills/Glusburn > Cowling > Laneshawbridge > then past Watersheddles Res and Ponden Reservoir > Oakworth > Keighley
https://www.strava.com/routes/14553381

ColinJ

That's got hills and from Utley to Laneshawbridge has traffic ... I could suggest lots of similar routes but I avoided doing that because you said you wanted flat routes with no traffic! :laugh:

It is actually what I would call 'typically hilly' for this area. Most of my rides come in at about 20 m of climbing per km and that does too.

I'll make some suggestions tomorrow with hills! :okay:

OP
OP
F
That's got hills and from Utley to Laneshawbridge has traffic ... I could suggest lots of similar routes but I avoided doing that because you said you wanted flat routes with no traffic! :laugh:

It is actually what I would call 'typically hilly' for this area. Most of my rides come in at about 20 m of climbing per km and that does too.

I'll make some suggestions tomorrow with hills! :okay:

I thought about that route at the beginning of this year when I couldn't walk (having DVT). I'll do it one of these days or months.
At the moment, I'll concentrate on smaller rides in the Yorkshire Dales and on the local canal.

I'll be making some routes and exporting them onto my Garmin

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Planet X, Acor, Crane and Velo Orange (among others, order of increasing cost I think) do bells that replace a headset spacer. Basil and I think Mirrcycle do ones that clip to brake or gear cables. There's always space for your dingaling!

OP
OP
F
Planet X, Acor, Crane and Velo Orange (among others, order of increasing cost I think) do bells that replace a headset spacer. Basil and I think Mirrcycle do ones that clip to brake or gear cables. There's always space for your dingaling!

I looked in Halfords this morning and they're all huge!!!!! Doesn't anyone make smaller bells? I don't want one that stands out like a sore thumb on my handlebar

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I looked in Halfords this morning and they're all huge!!!!! Doesn't anyone make smaller bells? I don't want one that stands out like a sore thumb on my handlebar
Try a bike shop, not a car spares barn. The Basil one that clips to a cable is dinky... but that means it's a rather high shrill ping. That's why I prefer a bigger bell on the stem an alternative approach would be a ring bell like(I think) the Knog Oi.

Top Bottom