Cycling using arms and legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

korbike

Regular
I invented a bicycle that uses your arms as well as your legs. I find it to be a great total body workout and plan to bring it to production. I would like to hear any and all comments you might have. I have a short video here. www.korbike.com Thank you.

Number14

Guru
You have spelt "you're" incorrectly at the bottom of the page. It should read "you're done",

The looked is a good idea. How much does the extra linkage add to the cost?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Interesting. I think someone on last years French audax Paris Brest Paris completed and qualified in the event on a recumbent machine that only uses your arms. I don't think he was from the U.K. though ?

I don't think you'll sell millions though I think people would buy such a machine. Maybe someone knows the guy who has the recumbent machine who completed Paris Brest Paris with only his arms over on the YACF forum as its a very audax orientated forum

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
You have spelt "you're" incorrectly at the bottom of the page. It should read "you're done",

The looked is a good idea. How much does the extra linkage add to the cost?

Thanks #14, Still adding to the website.
The linkage is not very expensive. I would say maybe 3-4 hundred for all the parts. Some welding and fitting. Tolerances need to be pretty tight to make it work.

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
Nice! That looks as difficult as trying to rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time!!
Not as difficult as it looks. A little bit like riding with your hands up and pedaling, pointing in the direction you want to go. It can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to learn how to steer it.

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
Interesting. I think someone on last years French audax Paris Brest Paris completed and qualified in the event on a recumbent machine that only uses your arms. I don't think he was from the U.K. though ?

I don't think you'll sell millions though I think people would buy such a machine. Maybe someone knows the guy who has the recumbent machine who completed Paris Brest Paris with only his arms over on the YACF forum as its a very audax orientated forum

It may have some benefit for hands only in a trike, but as a bicycle you'll need your legs and arms working together to keep your balance. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks #14, Still adding to the website.
The linkage is not very expensive. I would say maybe 3-4 hundred for all the parts. Some welding and fitting. Tolerances need to be pretty tight to make it work.

If the parts cost £/$3-400 it's going to retail for £/$700-1000. That's a lot of money for an arm workout. Plus I notice even you only use it very intermittently.

There are already a number of bikes out there that offer hand and/or foot operation but they really are very niche. Think carefully before you give up the day job for it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There was an end to end record breaker in (I think) pre-war years who used a bike with pedals, and a handlebar cranking the front wheel. The bar pivotted at the stem and rocked side to side.

snorri

Legendary Member
I would be a bit worried when going back to the handgrip after giving a hand-signal, the handgrip might not be where I left it and I would have loss of control problems.
Too many moving parts, easily damaged in a crash, high fault liability, probably ok for use on a turbo in a gym.
I want to simplify my bike, not complicate it.^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I would be a bit worried when going back to the handgrip after giving a hand-signal, the handgrip might not be where I left it and I would have loss of control problems.
Too many moving parts, easily damaged in a crash, high fault liability, probably ok for use on a turbo in a gym.
I want to simplify my bike, not complicate it.^_^
Aye, scary machine, just watching the video might put a newbie like me off cycling for life! :tongue:

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
Thanks everyone for all the input. I know there are many arm and leg powered bikes out there, but I have not seen any that work in a natural motion. If you have a link please post it. (In my opinion hand cranks are not a natural motion). The Korbike is easy to steer once you learn it, and is as stable as regular bike steering, until you push and pull the levers.
Let me start by saying this bike is not for everyone. This is for people who want to get a cardio and upper/lower body work out in 30 - 40 minutes, while riding a bike. I burn between 18 -20 calories per minute, working out my chest, arms, legs and core. The workout comes from the lack of balance when you push and pull the levers, it requires you to use the resistance in the levers and pedals to keep balanced. Leg muscles are much bigger than arms, so you can't expect your arms to work as long or hard. I usually just add in the arms for acceleration, hills and when I want to stay in a higher gear. The speed benefit is about a 5-10% increase on flat ground and 10 - 20% increase climbing hills, when using your arms and legs.
This is more of an exercise bike that you ride. I'm continually improving it, so I do appreciate all the comments and recommendations, thank you.

Top Bottom