Cyclist dies in crash with a van in Poole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm suprised too, the story however doesn't give enough details; anyway may he RIP

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
The cyclist crashed into the back of a stationary van waiting at lights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7325888.stm

Whilst I know I would be injured in a crash, I'm suprised that he died.

I'm afraid it doesn't take much to damage the brain and when that happens, you're in trouble. A freak angle of impact, a certain type of internal bleeding, that sort of thing.. If he was taken to a neurological dept, I guess he banged his head pretty hard...

(all based on years of watching Casualty, I have to say - seems that people can seem ok and then suddenly get a blood clot or something)

Tynan

Veteran
if you run straight into a stationary object you don't have to be going at all fast to be killed

deaths of peds up since those stupid oversized 4x4s appeared, instead of going up in the air, bodies just get hit square, nowhere for all that energy to go other than into the body and the vehicle, my last smash threw me 15 odd feet down the road, rather than smash my bones to smithereens

Tynan

Veteran
wouldn't have made any difference at all anyway at a guess

davidtq

fossyant said:
Hmm maybe having two eyes looking where you should be going might have helped.....

A nasty cut up and braking incident done to a cyclist at fair speed could easily cause a cyclist to go into the back of a "stationary" vehicle despite looking where they are going

something like this with a bit less braking distance and a bit more speed involved...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9eoQXaxbqM

"Yes officer I was stopped at the lights and he ran straight into the back of me, nothing I could do."

Of course it is entirely possible the cyclist was just looking the wrong way for a second and got caught out, or that they genuinely werent looking where they were going.

Tynan

Veteran
can't agree, running into the back of another vehicle is always the following vehicle's fault, fundamental stuff

there's plenty of bad cyclists out there or ones having moments, I've nearly rear ended other road users once or twice on a bike, and in a car, it happens

davidtq

Tynan said:
can't agree, running into the back of another vehicle is always the following vehicle's fault, fundamental stuff

there's plenty of bad cyclists out there or ones having moments, I've nearly rear ended other road users once or twice on a bike, and in a car, it happens

cutting people up and sudden lane changes are dangerous driving...

Top Bottom