Cyclist dies in crash with a van in Poole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:
can't agree, running into the back of another vehicle is always the following vehicle's fault, fundamental stuff

I think you're mostly right, but given the large difference in braking ability between a car and a bike, is it not possible for a car to cut into a bike's stopping distance, slam the anchors on, and leave the bike with no option but to crash? I seem to recall that this sort of situation was one of the very few get-out clauses in the hit somebody from behind automatic guilt thought.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Fankoo!! I was hoping you'd answer!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Cycled smack into the back of a bus on Oxford St when distracted by a very attractive woman.

OT I wonder if the vehicle that the cyclist hit had anything on a roof rack, pipes or ladders for example?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Odyssey said:
I once rear ended a parked 4x4. I hadn't even seen it until I hit it. Beat that.

Funnily enough a skater did this to a parked up lorry on a recent streetskate. Fitting, got taken to hospital, but is apparently alright now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only provoking a discussion - as said it's usually inferred that the following 'road user' is at fault - leaving the correct gap etc, but accident's do happen, and it's difficult to prove something unless there are witnesses...

Had a mate rear end a car, his fault, he ended up on the back seat - straight through the rear window....... a little cut up, but otherwise OK - Lucky.

The rider must have had a nasty knock to die - obviously full speed (what ever it may have been) into the back of the van.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, I'm assuming we're all simply exploring possibilities. Like Tynan, I think in this sort of accident it's usually the following road user at fault, but have no idea what actually happened.

Not wanting to detract from the death, but to provide a little towards the head injury aspect, the first two impacts in the below video highlight the general behaviour of body hitting car, note how the head strikes and the neck is bent by the following body.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2DhYlwt-8

Tynan said:
can't agree, running into the back of another vehicle is always the following vehicle's fault, fundamental stuff

Hmmm. Not to make any comment on this particular case, but it's not always as simple as this. I had a van pull out perhaps 20 yards in front of me the othe week, while I was loaded up with 26 tonnes of vodka (of all things). While not a disaster in itself, it very nearly turned into one when he almost immediately stopped to let another lorry cross the road in front of him. I don't think he even knew I was there.

Tynan

Veteran
'following' was meant to exclude people cutting in, y'all know what I meant i'm sure

you can kill yourself easily if unluckily at relatively low impacts, if you hit square your own momentum will deliver plenty of energy if you hit awkwardly, necks break dead easy if it's done right, look at gallows for instance

anyway, he might well have been going fast, who knows

dudi

ohhh, i'll have to make sure my wife doesn't read this thread!

last april, whicle cycling, I hit the back of a lorry at about 25mph. luckilly managed to move my face outof the way and took the full force on my left shoulder.

a broken collar bone & 6 weeks of agony and I was ok again.

Sorry to read about this chap... makes you realise your own mortality.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oops! I remember racing up the front drive of my secondary college, trying to beat my mates in the car, went over the third speedbump and the front wheel fell out. OMG that hurt!

CotterPin

Odyssey said:
I once rear ended a parked 4x4. I hadn't even seen it until I hit it. Beat that.

How about a parked Robin Reliant? Surprisingly it did more damage to me than I did to it.

Top Bottom