Cyclist down- Cricklewood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

I see it's one of those where the cyclist is doing the colliding again.

Strange how vehicles never collide with cyclists..

Sympathies for the cyclist and his family. ;)
Actually, this seems fine to me:

The 23-year-old was cycling on Cricklewood Broadway on Saturday morning when he and a Mercedes lorry collided

They did collide and the way it is written does not suggest who is at fault. In fact I think this is how it should always be written, until it is known who is at fault.

magnatom said:
Sympathies for the cyclist and his family. ;)
Actually, this seems fine to me:

The 23-year-old was cycling on Cricklewood Broadway on Saturday morning when he and a Mercedes lorry collided

They did collide and the way it is written does not suggest who is at fault. In fact I think this is how it should always be written, until it is known who is at fault.

Yes, you're right. That's exactly why they write it like that.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

"A cyclist has died after colliding with a lorry in north-west London".

iN THIS SENTENCE THE CYCLIST IS THE ACTIVE AGENT, SO PRESUMABLY SUDDENLY CYCLED BACKWARDS INTO THE LORRY.

spindrift said:
"A cyclist has died after colliding with a lorry in north-west London".

iN THIS SENTENCE THE CYCLIST IS THE ACTIVE AGENT, SO PRESUMABLY SUDDENLY CYCLED BACKWARDS INTO THE LORRY.

Ah, I didn't see the sub heading. You are right, that is worded poorly.

peloquin

Yes sympathies with the cyclists family, for sure.
Its just the way that the news report highlights this part in bold:

A cyclist has died after colliding with a lorry in north-west London.

and then goes on to say both collided, straight after.
I think the way this report has been structured makes readers assume the cyclist was at fault before fault has even been determined.

Rhythm Thief said:
No, "colliding" even in that sentence, is a neutral verb. "Colliding with the lorry" means exactly that - the cyclist was involved in a collision with a lorry. Which he was.

I think technically you are right RT, but the general public aren't good at grammar (neither am I, by the way:smile:). It does suggest that the cyclist went into the lorry and not the other way around. The main text is fine though.

Mr Pig

I sent them this:

"
Dear Sir or Madam,
This is the second time I've seen the same bias in your reporting. How do you know that it was the cyclist who collided with the lorry? The fact is that in most such collisions it is the motor vehicle driver who collides with the cyclist. I know it may seem like a small point but cyclists are among the most vulnerable people on the road. Many drivers resent them being there and a large number risk the lives of cyclists by their careless driving.

As this is the second time I have seen exactly the same bias I am going to save the URL for future reference and will be watching subsequent reporting closely.

Thank in advance for your consideration,
Regards,
Colin sim "

I think there may be a bias favouring the drivers at work. Twice in a few months, especially after they were pulled up about the last instance and corrected it, seems odd.

Top Bottom