Cyclist down- Holloway Road again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sad.

CotterPin

A few more details - the woman was a local community campaigner, who, among other things, campaigned for open spaces to be retained, and worked with local schools in encouraging arts.

The incident occurred here. There is a cycle crossing between Madras Place and Fieldway Crescent, controlled by lights. The staggered nature of the crossing and the consequent distance between the sets of the lights means that traffic on the Holloway Road can continue to be moving even when cyclists have the green light to cross. Though I do not believe that was the cause of this incident.

ICAG, the local cycle campaign group have regularly called for the junction to be reviewed.

Ironically, last week I was interviewed by the local press on the dangers to cyclists on the Holloway Road but was focussing my concerns higher up at the Nags Head gyratory.

catwoman

I knew her well and am very shocked and saddened to hear the news. I understand she was hit by a cement mixer and died at the scene.

domtyler

Über Member
Hi CharlieSurf,

These incidents invariably happen in exactly the same general manner. Woman cyclist is waiting at the red light on the very left of the road like a good little cyclist. Cement/Skip/Scaffolding lorry pulls up alongside and then proceeds to turn left across the cyclist crushing her to death under the wheels. Normally the driver admits to shuffling papers or fiddling with radio instead of looking in the mirrors and has forgotten about the cyclist that he just pulled out to pass two seconds earlier. CC TV images prove that the driver would have easily seen the woman if he had bothered to look.

Cycling community is outraged and calls for charges of culpable homicide, manslaughter, murder etc. Driver is taken to court.

Driver is given a three week ban and £60 fine. court agrees he can pay the fine in ten weekly instalments and lets him off the ban and points as he voluntarily agrees to attend a two hour driver awareness course.

Dom – I’m sure many would find your post extremely cynical, but, it is unfortunately a pretty true reflection of reality, well said!

CotterPin

I understand that she was crossing Holloway Road. The cement lorry was travelling north and had just pulled away from the traffic lights.

Tynan

Veteran
how does a left turning lorry kill a stopped cyclist at lights?

if you mean they pull away together, sure, but you'd be a loon to pull away from lights alongside a large vehicle, let alone be alongside one at all

Top Bottom