Cyclist fatality Southwark bridge today, lorry collision.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Anyone heard anything please? The SOCO tent is up, a colleague said the cyclist was killed, nothing online yet.

WTF is it with lorries in London?

LOGAN 5

Awful.

I was stopped "behind" a left turning lorry this morning when a fast rider comes up past me and I honestly thought he was going to jump on the inside of the lorry but thought better of it. Crikes!

Condolences to his family.

spindrift said:
Anyone heard anything please? The SOCO tent is up, a colleague said the cyclist was killed, nothing online yet.

WTF is it with lorries in London?

So by your own admission, you know nothing of this regrettable incident (at least, I assume that's why you've posted asking for information), yet you're already blaming the lorry driver. Perhaps it was the driver's fault and perhaps it wasn't, but let's not jump to conclusions before we actually know anything, eh?

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Are tipper lorries paid per load? They are terrible drivers, ranking alongside scaffolding lorry drivers IMO.

That's not to prejudge this awful event.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

yet you're already blaming the lorry driver.

Errr, when? I'm asking for information and highlighting the fact that lorries account for a disproportionate amount of cycling fatalities. Please don't attack me for summat I haven't said, not on a thread like this.

Blackandblue

Really depressing. Is this the worst accident black spot for cycling fatalities in London? It seems like it to me. Isn't there some lesson here for the road planners?

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Is this the worst accident black spot for cycling fatalities in London?

yes, London's bridges have awful RTA stats.

I've no idea why, although in a crowded, congested city drivers may see an horizon for the first time and put their foot down.

My colleague says it was on the right hand side, northbound.

bryce

No one is blaming anyone - I thought it was a observation that lorries are usually involved in cyclist fatalities in London.

I used to cycle that route to Canary Wharf - huge tippers would come up from Elephant, accross Southwark bridge then right onto the Highway, often two at a time.

Does anyone know how the accident might have happened?

Proto

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Yes, tipper drivers are paid by the load. No one likes them, even other lorry drivers.

Have to disagree with this.

On my 5 mile commute on town and rural roads I'm often passed byt tipper trucks owned by a comapny Graham Churchill Ltd. I'll often see three a day, sometimes more. Not once have I felt threatened, intimidated or frightened by them. I've been so impressed by their skills, patience and courtesy I phoned up their transport manager to pass on my thanks. To say she was delighted to hear what I had to say is an understatement.

Graham Churchill Ltd

Jake

Wish i was on the bike today with camera. There was a taxi driver shouting at a pedestrian because she was walking across the road with the green man showing. He thought he could just drive through the crowd of people legally & safely crossing the road becuase he was already through the junction, obvisouly went through on red. If that makes sense? Glad their cabs are blowing up lol

Top Bottom